Firefly Lane: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

Firefly Lane: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

Series: Firefly Lane (1)

Spanning more than three decades and playing out across the ever-changing face of the Pacific Northwest, Firefly Lane is the poignant, powerful story of two women and the friendship that becomes the bulkhead of their lives.
Member:lisamccall
Title:Firefly Lane: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2020), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages

Work Information

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both novels are character-driven and focus on the lives and relationships of two main women. Though the overall tone is uplifting, there are somber, emotional moments. There is a focus on sharing and resolving issues from the past.
    The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King (dara85)

English (300)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (305)
This was my first Kristin Hannah book.

I felt there was not enough emotional development until it was too late and some of the plot was derivative (To be honest, I hated that an author testimonial on the back mentioned Iris Dart’s “Beaches,” because half way through the book I knew how it would end 😤); However, I disagree with some of the more scathing reviews that indicate the characters were too one-dimensional to relate to them.

I have known Kate’s and Tully’s, and although we can focus on the lack of emotional growth (as individuals, which honestly was minor considering “growth” IS a lifelong process), and the codependence of their friendship, they still felt “real” enough for me to appreciate their struggles with the inherent feelings of love and betrayal. Kate and Tully are so different, but it is their differences that allowed them to rely on one another’s strengths and/or enable the other. They were also there for one another at the drop of a hat. “That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips are down, they were there, making you laugh in your darkest hours.”

The writing was good and the end was definitely worth the read even knowing where it was heading!

The mother-daughter relationship theme is explored throughout the book. The damage created by lack of bonding and nurturing, the strength created by proper bonding and nurturing, and the inherent difficulties in “growing” children into adults.

I grew up in the 70s/80s and the musical and fashion references made me chuckle.

The ending though…I did some ugly crying there. Some have said that it’s too long. I found it to be perfect, as it realistically depicted what a drawn out and devastating process some life experiences can be.

Favorite quotes:
📚
Kate: “I often find myself more interested in what comes after the story than the story itself. I’m better, I believe, at long-range thinking and planning. Details, rather than broad strokes.”
📚
“Motherhood at times like this – most times – was about the steel in your spine, not the bend.” ( )
  Eosch1 | Jan 2, 2022 |
This book is about two girls who are neighbors. While these girls are completely different, one free-spirited and popular, and the other more careful and quiet, they become life-long best friends. This book goes through each of the girls lives, describing their relationships as they grow into adults and how they are always there for each other. The story has twists and turns that make you wonder if they'll get through. I really enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this book to middle schoolers because it illustrates their lives as kids going through middle school to high school and all of the complicated things that come with growing up. ( )
  Roxana_Guerra | Nov 5, 2021 |
I was ready for a sweeping book about friendship, and this did the trick. I enjoyed the references to clothing, hair styles, and music as the girls grew up. I had forgotten about Earth shoes from the 1970's with their reverse-sloping soles. Fun!
Spoiler alert: I understand that for purposes of the plot and underlying conflict one friend (Kate) was a stay-at-home parent and the other (Tully) was an unmarried career woman, but I was sorry to see that dichotomy never yielded. The author's note about breast cancer was moving and apt.
For sure, this is a total tear-jerker. Have the Kleenex handy. ( )
  CMOBrien | Oct 18, 2021 |
I’m not crying, you are ( )
1 vote jgallo123 | Sep 14, 2021 |
Was this a remake/extension of a Harlequin romance? or a YA teen angst novel? I could not get myself to finish it after about 150 pages. I don't understand how it could get five stars from so many readers. Triteness to the extreme. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jun 16, 2021 |
The best mirror is an old friend. -George Herbert
This book is dedicated to "us." The girls. Friends who see one another through the hard times, big and small, year in and year out. You know who you are. Thanks. And to my mom, who inspires so many of my novels, this one most of all.
They used to be called the Firefly Lane girls.
"That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours. "
"Sometimes being a good friend means saying nothing."
"Thoughts - even fears - were airy things, formless until you made them solid with your voice and once given that weight, they could crush you."
"The at-home mother's life: it was a race with no finish line."

Firefly Lane, the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It's about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really truely knows you-and has the power to hurt you and heal you.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kristin Hannah's book Firefly Lane was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,261,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible