Firefly Lane: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

Firefly Lane: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

Series: Firefly Lane (1)

In the summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey has accepted her place at the bottom of the eighth-grade social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the "coolest girl in the world" moves in across the street and wants to be her friend. Tully Hart seems to have it all--beauty, brains, ambition. On the surface they are as opposite as two people can be: Kate, doomed to be forever uncool, with a loving family who mortifies her at every turn; Tully, steeped in glamour and mystery, but with a secret that is destroying her. They make a pact to be best friends forever; by summer's end they've become TullyandKate. Inseparable. So begins Kristin Hannah's magnificent novel. Spanning more than three decades and playing out across the ever-changing face of the Pacific Northwest, Firefly Lane is the poignant, powerful story of two women and the friendship that becomes the mainstay of their lives. From the beginning, Tully is desperate to prove her worth to the world. Abandoned by her mother at an early age, she longs to be loved unconditionally. She will follow her own blind ambition to New York and around the globe, finding fame and success...and loneliness. All Kate really wants is to fall in love and have children and live an ordinary life. In her own quiet way, Kate is as driven as Tully. What she doesn't know is how being a wife and mother will change her...how she'll lose sight of who she once was, and what she once wanted. And how much she'll envy her famous best friend.... For thirty years, Tully and Kate buoy each other through life, weathering the storms of friendship--jealousy, anger, hurt, resentment. They think they've survived it all until a single act of betrayal tears them apart...and puts their courage and friendship to the ultimate test. Firefly Lane is for anyone who ever drank Boone's Farm apple wine while listening to Abba or Fleetwood Mac. More than a coming-of-age novel, it's the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It's about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really, truly knows you--and knows what has the power to hurt you...and heal you. Firefly Lane is a story you'll never forget...one you'll want to pass on to your best friend.… (more)
Member:ccharris
Title:Firefly Lane: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2009), Edition: First, 528 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both novels are character-driven and focus on the lives and relationships of two main women. Though the overall tone is uplifting, there are somber, emotional moments. There is a focus on sharing and resolving issues from the past.
    The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King (dara85)

English (305)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (310)
Not a bookclub book, given to me by Claudia. A good decent read but not a ‘can’t put it down’ kind of book. Nostalgic though. ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
“That was what a best friend did: hold up a mirror and show you your heart.”
― Kristin Hannah, Firefly Lane

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT:

This was a tough one for me. I did originally give it a lower rating but the truth is it is a well written book. I just found it to upsetting for me.

I did get through it although many times I did not think I was going to. It is a beautiful piece of writing. That I will say. I had two issues with the book.

One..just to hard for me to read such material. I have had to many people I love with cancer. I do tend to avoid these types of books.

Second..it felt like Kate existed purely to be tormented. I was so mad about the shoddy lot in life she got, not just with getting sick but from the treatment from her friend and her husband.

I know she forgives them both..not sure I can!

I guess this IS a good book because it sure elicited strong emotions in me!

So this is an example of a book I would recommend but not for me(if that makes sense). I am sure everyone has a book or two they recognize is very good but for whatever reason it is upsetting to them to read it. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 7, 2022 |
I was very involved with the content of this book and cared about the characters, but I did not care for the author's manipulations. It was as if she had a list of difficulties that could occur and then checked them off. I also was not pleased that sex, rather than communication, could work wonders. All told, I was interested to read how the book ended. ( )
  suesbooks | Mar 1, 2022 |
Oh Tully and Kate... I listened to this on audiobook and instantly fell in love with the friendship between these two... Tully and her crazy spontaneous life... Kate and her planned, "boring" life... Yet through every storm, they find a way to include each other and weather it.

Grab your tissues for this one, because I'm sure you'll cry at least once. ( )
  Jynell | Feb 24, 2022 |
The best mirror is an old friend. -George Herbert
This book is dedicated to "us." The girls. Friends who see one another through the hard times, big and small, year in and year out. You know who you are. Thanks. And to my mom, who inspires so many of my novels, this one most of all.
They used to be called the Firefly Lane girls.
"That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours. "
"Sometimes being a good friend means saying nothing."
"Thoughts - even fears - were airy things, formless until you made them solid with your voice and once given that weight, they could crush you."
"The at-home mother's life: it was a race with no finish line."

Firefly Lane, the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It's about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really truely knows you-and has the power to hurt you and heal you.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kristin Hannah's book Firefly Lane was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,205,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible