Coraline (2002)

by Neil Gaiman

17,931651222 (4)797
Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
Recently added byOSLS, private library, Lunarsong, davkab, THCMOMSTER, OnlyWhenILarf, katuncanny, erohwedd, pandr65
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Smart, determined girls journey to darkly magical worlds in order to rescue a parent in these original and dazzling fairy tales constructed with beautiful imagery and intricate storylines.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)

Elevenses (142)

English (624)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Arabic (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (649)
On a Reddit megathread, "What is your favorite book of all time?" this book was mentioned, so I'm rereading it. The rating still stands from the first time I read it three years ago. This is unsettling and quite creepy. Seriously, I remember it being creepy, but not -this- creepy. Slow dread turned into something else as my heart beat harder while I turned pages. The author uses creepy-crawlies to achieve various effects, and it's effective unfortunately. I might not think of mice in the same way for a few days. I want to hear their little orchestra. I was glad for the cat for several reasons. The use of color and the lack thereof was clever and vivid in various ways. I wear a lot of black and gray, and did so exclusively for seven years as an adult. I wouldn't have batted an eye to wear those clothes at all, so I would have had a drastically different fate than Coraline. The theater performers made me smile, although seeing them perform in Other Mother's world was unsettling. It was supposed to be. I wanted to be happy for them, though. This is a time where dreams within a book actually mean something. I'm a fan of how dreams were used in this book, and how small objects took on grand meanings. I'm sure there's a "Other Mother really did lose her marbles!" joke out there, and I quietly made one as I stirred my dinner tonight. I was scared, I admit. Gaiman has written a lot of fantastical horror stories I adore. While this was creative and I was relieved when the heroine was safe, this isn't one I'm inclined to reach for. (shrug) Not sure why. From what I understand, the book fans hated the movie adaptation. Poor movie remakes drive me up the wall, so I never saw the movie and don't intend to. I'm glad for Gaiman's success, though. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 28, 2022 |
4.5 stars

I'm not sure how to describe it properly. The book took maybe three hours to read and left me feeling, of all things, thoughtful.

Author claims children read the book as an adventure, yet adults get nightmares afterwards. As much as I'm supposed to be an adult by now, I doubt I fall into that category. Neither am I thrilled with delight.

It doesn't fit neatly into pre-cut shapes. It twists and spooks and doesn't let go. It's odd and makes you uneasy and makes you think...

Gaiman himself says he's most proud of this little gem.
I can see why ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
So I just decided to re-read Coraline for no reason in particular. Hailey mentioned she started to read it and was like you know what let's also read it. Neil Gaiman knows how to write a book I still love this story and can't wait to read it to my kind in the future can't wait to read more by him in the future. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
Recensione: http://thereadingpal.blogspot.it/2017/03/recensione-80-coraline.html

Siamo piccine ma molte
Siamo molte ma piccine
Eravamo qui prima di voi
Saremo qui anche poi.

Neil Gaiman è un autore che a me piace molto, sia per lo stile che per le sue storie. Coraline può essere considerato un classico del suo genere: la protagonista è, appunto, Coraline, una ragazzina avventurosa che si ritrova in un mondo parallelo e macabro, pieno di topi, che da la sensazione di finto, e al cui capo c'è una strana creatura che ha preso le fattezze di sua madre e cerca di convincerla a restare con lei. Coraline, per riuscire a sfuggirle, dovrà giocare ad un gioco in cui lei è l'unica a giocare pulito. E l'unico aiuto che le viene dato è da parte di un gatto.
Il personaggio di Coraline mi è piaciuto molto. Non si trovano spesso, nei libri per ragazzi, protagoniste femminili e, soprattutto, coraggiose e con spirito d'avventura come Coraline. Non è neanche uno di quei personaggi piatti e stereotipati: in lei, nel corso del romanzo, c'è una crescita. Non solo riesce ad affrontare le sue paure, ma matura anche dal punto di vista psicologico.
Uno dei temi affrontati nel corso del romanzo è il rapporto tra genitori e figli, e la vita a volte "banale" che ci ritroviamo. Ma poi quella stessa vita che ci è venuta a noia, come anche i nostri parenti così imperfetti e che ci irritano, diventano a noi cari nel momento in cui ci troviamo in una situazione diversa e pericolosa.
La "Altra Madre", questa creatura mostruosa e subdola, a pensarci bene è davvero raccapricciante. Cerca di manipolare la giovane Coraline, ma è completamente fasulla e si nota, proprio come il mondo da lei creato. Falso. Incompleto. E la sua voce è inespressiva quanto i suoi occhi di bottone.
Capiamo subito il pericolo grazie agli odori, ai suoni, all'ambiente che circonda Coraline nella sua esplorazione.
Forse la cosa più inquietante però sono quei maledetti topi musicisti...
Grazie alle immagini che si trovano nei capitoli riusciamo ad entrare anche di più nella storia. Pur non essendo di mio gusto, lo stile in cui sono disegnati è appropriato alla storia e la rende davvero completa.
Consiglio, se non lo avete ancora fatto, di leggere questo libro. ( )
  thereadingpal | Jun 14, 2022 |
A rather creepy little book. Neil Gaiman would probably love that intro. Going to be a movie too...Like a children's Poltergeist. Plays on deepest, darkest childhood fears: making a wish and it comes true, parent separation, creepy secret doors...
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosich, MarcTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, P. Craigsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
There was something irritatingly self-centered about the cat, Coraline decided. As if it were, in its opinion, the only thing in any world or place that could possibly be of any importance.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,832,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible