Coraline

by Neil Gaiman

Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
Recently added byPaul_Maxfield, private library, Rennie80, ellebeegrace83, BookHavenAZ, jpc_lib, lattermild, KristinaF
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)

English (600)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Arabic (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (622)
I’ve read Coraline (and watched the movie based on it) dozens of times, and yet somehow it never stops being one of the creepiest and most suspenseful stories I’ve read. Gaiman treads the boards of light horror in this story, which sees young Coraline Jones move into a strange old house with her parents and discovers an entirely new world through a mysterious door leading to an empty apartment next door. In this new world Coraline meets the Other Mother, a creature of Eld who is never quite defined, but definitely isn’t as kindly as she first appears. Coraline is just one in a long line of children charmed by the Other Mother’s promises of good food to eat, fun games to play, and (most importantly for the seemingly neglected Coraline) undivided attention, and Gaiman builds the horror of the situation which Coraline finds herself in masterfully. There are moments which reckon with recognizable folktale structures (three tasks, animal helpers, food as a charm, unbeknownst horrors from Faerie), but Gaiman’s take is far more modern as he also plies the story with themes around the modern family and the struggles of work-life balance. By the end of Coraline’s tale she has managed to escape the Other Mother, rescue the souls of the other three children trapped before her, and return her parents to their rightful place in the real world, but the ending is not quite as tied up as it seems. Has the Other Mother actually been defeated, or will the key to her world be recovered to tempt another child? ( )
  JaimieRiella | Jun 8, 2021 |
Audiobook performed by the author

On a rainy day, bored Coraline occupies her mind with counting – the windows (21), everything blue (153), the doors (14). It’s the 14th door that really captures her attention, and when she opens it she discovers an alternate universe. But unlike Alice and her adventures in Wonderland, this is a quite dark and unpleasant place, where her “other mother” is intent on keeping Coraline captive.

It’s imaginative (can’t expect anything less from Gaiman) and dark and creepy and scary and I can totally see the reason why it’s so popular, but it’s not for me.

I do like that Coraline is such a strong female lead. She’s just a little girl, after all. But she’s intelligent, inquisitive, determined, brave and resilient. She doesn’t fall into the traps the other mother sets for her and she keeps true to her goals. Brava!

Neil Gaiman narrates the audiobook himself. I cannot imagine anyone else dong a better job (well, maybe Tim Curry). But the director / producer added al sorts of spooky music to introduce each disk and I found that really irritating. And I HATED the voices used for the mice and/or rats. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 30, 2021 |
Una obra maestra ( )
  dfernandeztoled | Apr 24, 2021 |
This book was really creepy, but it was good because something different was out to get Coraline and add a new twist to the story after you turned each new corner. ( )
  AlizarinCrimson | Jan 7, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Coraline is a fabulous role model for children, brave and clever and interesting. The story is dark and clever, and yet filled with zest and warmth. I shall have to give this to my daughter and then, when she’s read it, get the movie. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosich, MarcTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, P. CraigIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,215,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible