dismiss

Coraline

by Neil Gaiman

16,290606214 (4)755
Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)

English (586)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (606)
Filled with creepiness and mystery ( )
  aiboy1 | Jul 5, 2020 |
“Because,' she said, 'when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave.”

From beginning to end, Coraline was wonderful. The story follows young Coraline after her family moves into a house that has been converted into flats. Coraline loves exploring and is disappointed that her mother and father are busy and often send her away to do anything else while they are working. After being told by her father to count the number of doors, windows, etc in their flat, Coraline comes across a 14th door that leads to a bricked in wall. The wall was put up when the house was converted. Though the door opens, it leads nowhere, or at least for a while.

Coraline is brave and I loved her definition of bravery to the cat with no name. Her retelling her story about what her father did and how she was now going to be brave for her parents was wonderful. I feel like every young girl has Coraline in them.

Coraline's parents though barely in this story, you can feel how much they love her and how much she loves them just by the interactions that Coraline has with them. I loved this line to Coraline about not getting everything she wants all of the time because that would be boring.

The writing was top-notch and Gaiman manages to imbue a feeling of dread even among the marvels that Coraline sees when she passes through the 14th door into the other side. I loved that my book came with drawings as well which really showcased the marvels that Coraline was seeing too. The flow really worked through the entire book and I seriously felt just like Coraline did when she realized that she was almost home free, but not quite.

The setting of the home in the real world and the other mother and father that Coraline meets was well done. I was starting to wish that Coraline was real so I could tug her along and keep her out of harm's way.

The ending was quite brilliant and I would love love love if we got to see Coraline as a grown up one day. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Other Mother's prize
an ungrateful little sneak
play with your rats, dear. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
As expected, a novel by Neil Gaiman read by Neil Gaiman is even better than the text version. And I absolutely adore the cat. ( )
  natcontrary | Jun 22, 2020 |
Very unpopular oppinion:
The book bored me.

I was invested until about halfway through. But then... meh...
I can‘t really explain what made me not like it. I guess it just wasn‘t for me.
The blurb on my cover says it is disturbing and scary.
Well the illustrations in the book disturbed and scared me the most. The book on itself not so much. ( )
  jinxmoon | Jun 22, 2020 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krutz-Arnold, CorneliaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,864,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible