Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline (edition 2002)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

15,301574212 (4)740
Member:WeeTurtle
Title:Coraline
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:New York : HarperTrophy, 2003, c2002.
Collections:Fantasy Continuum, Novels, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:spooky, alternate world, fantasy, creepy, juvenile literature, movie adaptation, parody world, Newbery author

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    Secret Creatures by Jenny Nimmo (Bitter_Grace)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)

English (558)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (576)
Creepy but fun

I've seen the movie, but hadn't read the book so it was interesting to see the similarities and differences. This is pretty creepy for a fairy tale and the other mother definitely weirded me out. I liked the way Coraline went along with a lot of things and did what she had to do to save everybody. Her speech about bravery was really good and had a nice meaning. The movie stayed pretty true to the book, which is great and helped me picture a lot of the story. I really enjoyed reading this! ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
I am certainly going against the trend, but I hated it. It was written for younger readers, who might enjoy it, but I found it flat and uninteresting I actually preferred the illustrations to the story. A primary aged reader might find "Coraline" scary; I thought it was just plan weird and I honestly don't understand why it has received some many four and five star reviews. Definitely not for me! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 2, 2019 |
I think I liked the movie a little better, but I think that's only because I saw it first, so I knew where the story was going.

I like the little illustrations in my edition, scratchy and creepy, not unlike the aesthetic in the film. A blurb on the back of the book compares the door in Coraline's flat to the closet in Narnia, and I think it works as a reflection of the two stories, except while Narnia is genuinely wonderful, the place on the other side of the door only appears that way.

Coraline herself is also a quirky character and I enjoyed her doings, plus those of the cat. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Mar 20, 2019 |
I listened to this with Gigi on a road trip. It was the 2nd time I've read the book. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 17, 2019 |
Coraline by Neil Gaiman was unexpectedly dark for a children’s book. It was a very enjoyable read, and readable in one sitting. The book was suitable for children, but was much darker than other children’s books in the same genre. It has a depth that makes it an enjoyable read for adults as well. The book differed from the movie and I liked the book better. In the book, Coraline’s character seemed stronger. The ending of the book felt more hard won. ( )
  MHendry | Jan 12, 2019 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krutz-Arnold, CorneliaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061139378, Paperback)

Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious.

What's on the other side of the door? A distorted-mirror world, containing presumably everything Coraline has ever dreamed of... people who pronounce her name correctly (not "Caroline"), delicious meals (not like her father's overblown "recipes"), an unusually pink and green bedroom (not like her dull one), and plenty of horrible (very un-boring) marvels, like a man made out of live rats. The creepiest part, however, is her mirrored parents, her "other mother" and her "other father"--people who look just like her own parents, but with big, shiny, black button eyes, paper-white skin... and a keen desire to keep her on their side of the door. To make creepy creepier, Coraline has been illustrated masterfully in scritchy, terrifying ink drawings by British mixed-media artist and Sandman cover illustrator Dave McKean. This delightful, funny, haunting, scary as heck, fairy-tale novel is about as fine as they come. Highly recommended. (Ages 11 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.… (more)

4 2017

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,242,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible