Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman

17,446635221 (4)776
Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
Member:renandfiona
Title:Coraline
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Paperback, 192 pages

Work Information

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Author) (2002)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Smart, determined girls journey to darkly magical worlds in order to rescue a parent in these original and dazzling fairy tales constructed with beautiful imagery and intricate storylines.
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)

Elevenses (139)

English (612)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Arabic (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (636)
I absolutely love this book! And I am on a serious Neil Gaiman kick right now so I'm just rereading everything that he has done haha. I seriously love how brave Coraline is and how she handles each and every test set before her. She is smart and tricky. It is a dark book for younger children, but I still feel that juvenile readers would enjoy this tale. Coraline is strong willed and I adore her. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
It's a classic children's book. I read it because of the movie and it was interesting to see the differences between the two pieces of media. I enjoyed the spooky aspects yet simple writing. ( )
  Jenna.Schetty | Nov 5, 2021 |
nice, short, creepy book. Didn't go too deeply into exactly what the other mother was or where her power came from, but that's ok - it really wasn't necessary. Also - I would've liked to have had a better grasp as to how old Coraline was beyond "small for her age". I pictured her as about 12. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
This is a fun book, and slightly spooky, but it also wasn’t as scary as I had expected. Perhaps this is because I have already watched the movie version (which is excellent) or perhaps I just had different expectations for the book than what it was going to offer. Still, it was a very fun and imaginative story, and I’m glad I read it. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Oct 18, 2021 |
Coraline was a well written story that simply was not to my taste. I like a good thriller, but this book was strictly horror, which is usually not for me. Coraline finds a secret door in her house that leads to another world similar to her own, complete with her parents, but are they really her parents? There are differences between her "other mother" and her own that Coraline can't ignore including the buttons that seem to take the place of her eyes. Coraline finds that her "other mother" may not have her best interests at heart and her motives may be to hurt rather than help. Other characters in the story play minor roles including Coraline's "other father," an odd man who lives upstairs, a pair of strange old ladies, and a cat that is more than what he appears.
This book would be wonderful for those who like scary stories, but it was just too creepy for my taste. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosich, MarcTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, P. CraigIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,404,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible