Dark days by Steve Niles
Picking up from the literal ashes of 30 Days of Night, 30 Days of Night: Dark Days follows Stella Olemaun's efforts to warn the world about the threat the vampires pose - the vampires who overran Barrow, Alaska, killing her husband and most of the town.
Member:Letora
Title:Dark days
Authors:Steve Niles
Other authors:Ben Templesmith
Info:San Diego, CA : IDW Pub., c2004.
Collections:Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library, Favorites
Rating:***

30 Days of Night: Dark Days by Steve Niles (2003)

* This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review, by the author

I really liked the design and the art graphics in the book. The designer has captured the emotions of people in such an expert way that really gets you into the plot. Even though the story was a bit too scary for me, I still went through it, and in the end I think it was worth it. The colors are very sharp and edgy, just like the strength reflected by the character's emotions.

The plot is very well organized and makes you feel like watching a movie somehow because you only have the characters speeches and the figures illustrating the action.

All in all this was a very good first experience for me reading graphic books, and maybe in the future I'll browse more through this genre. ( )
  amde | Jul 7, 2018 |
This is the sort of fiction that the vampire genre needs. The vampires don't sparkle, they don't throw about all that "b-grade gothic bullshit", and there are varying factions within them. Not every vampire is the same, but there are certain generalizations that one can make about them. The moral questions raised in this volume were fantastic, and I hope that the rest of the series continues in this vain. Also... doesn't it just make sense that they've infiltrated the FBI and other such resources?

Not to give too much away, but the ending was perfect. The artwork was stunning, and the script left nothing to be desired. The characters are ones that it's easy to empathize with, or at the very least, to understand. The motives are there, and the vampires are just human enough.

This is the sort of horror that I adore, and I am so glad that the series is living up to my expectations. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Thoughts:

* The art is still pretty dreadful. The humans are ... grotesque. It hurts both my eyes and my soul to gaze upon them.

* That and I can't tell wth is going on in any of the action sequences. I like the colors at least.

* It's 16 months later yet it's only been 13 months since Taylor died? How does that math work exactly?

* Stella's rebound guy is a vampire, which ... okay. BUT THERE IS ZERO CHEMISTRY THERE PEOPLE AND IF YOU'RE GOING TO RISK A GUSHING CAROTID ARTERY AT LEAST MAKE THE BOY IS WORTH IT.

In summary, I will keep reading, if only to reach the Kelly Sue DeConnick issues. ( )
  smiteme | Feb 11, 2018 |
I really liked the sequel, It shows a stronger Stella trying to expose her antagonists... This time she's no longer a victim, she'll fight hard. Same scary atmosphere of the first book... ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
A lot better than the first. ( )
  palaverofbirds | Mar 29, 2013 |

Niles, Steveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Templesmith, BenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
It's getting hard to fight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,383,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible