A Passion Most Pure

by Julie Lessman

She's found the love of her life. Unfortunately, he loves her sister. When Collin's affections shift, it threatens to tear the proper Boston family apart. Can this be part of God's plan for their lives?

The main problem with this book is how completely untrue it is to real life. So I'm supposed to believe that the handsome hero is living a questionable lifestyle, sleeping around, and our dear damsel in distress is still in love with him (and worse, not overly concerned)? And later on, she's totally fine with his past, never bats an eye at his previous infidelity? I'm sorry, I just couldn't buy this story.

It falls veryyy much in the category of "Christian romance novels"--pretty much the same as secular romance novels (except without the sex). It definitely ignores the aspects of true relationships, forgetting the fact that relationships are hard, that you do carry baggage from the past, and that being "in love" with someone from childhood is not a winning formula for "overcoming all." This book exemplifies many of the problems with Christian romance (and chick-flick movies) in that they create unattainable expectations in women of men, relationships, and marriage. And even more dangerous--they're tacked with the label "Christian," which many women may assume means safe, and they may not to question or think critically about what they are reading.

Also, I think sometimes it is easy for Christian books to use concepts of God's grace and redemptive forgiveness as a "Christian" way to spin the classic bad-boy-falls-for-good-girl story, but often ignoring the fact that redemption does not mean exemption from consequences of sin (such as our hero's infidelity). Just because a character lives a fast lifestyle then comes to know Christ does not mean they automatically are healed from all their scars, don't ever struggle with temptation, and have the emotional/mental/spiritual ability to have completely healthy, thriving relationships. Read with open eyes and a discerning mind! ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
The MC never grows or progresses. She's shattered by something that she herself does to someone else earlier in the story. She is surrounded by wonderful opportunities but is always stuck on the one thing she can't have. I got tired of her tears.
Also, though I am very religious, I was annoyed by the preachiness of the characters in this book. I have never heard anyone talk the way they do. It got a little distracting. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Once I started this book, I could not put it down. I absolutely love the O'Connor family and recommend this book as well as all the others by Julie Lessman. This book is written with such feeling; passion for God and family and friends. Prepare to sit back and enjoy the read. I sure did!
I downloaded this book as a freebie (Thanks, Julie!), even though I have the three books in this trilogy. It is easier for my arthritic hands to hold an e-reader as these books are lengthy and heavy for me to hold.
It is still available as a free download.
I noticed some negative reviews. Don't pay any attention to them. Julie addresses issues that face real people and shows how solutions to problems and struggles within self and between family members and friends are found at the throne of God. ( )
  RomanceReaderToo | Nov 3, 2014 |
Enjoyed this book, quick read kept my interest. Will read her other books, love this era reading. ( )
  Grandy | Oct 14, 2014 |
I was in tears when I finished reading "A Passion Most Pure" - albeit, they were tears of joy, and satisfaction, for the ending. However, they weren't the first tears shed during the reading of this wonderful novel!! Julie Lessman keeps her readers "hanging" until the last few pages of her novels, the passion and unexpected twists leave one breathless and emotionally wrought!! I became so emotionally invested in the characters of "A Passion Most Pure", it was hard to put the novel down, and I didn't want it to end!!

"A Passion Most Pure" is the story of Faith O'Connor, and her quest to find the husband God has chosen for her. The journey is greatly complicated by the jealousy of her sister, Charity. Faith and Charity are daughters of Marcy and Patrick O'Connor, whose romance is portrayed in "A Light in the Window". Each member of the O'Connor family is featured in a separate book - "A Passion Most Pure" is followed by "A Passion Redeemed", "A Passion Denied", "A Hope Undaunted", "A Heart Revealed", and "A Love Surrendered".

I am overjoyed at starting the next novel in the series - Julie's writing has stolen my heart, "hook, line, and sinker"!! ( )
1 vote BonnieRoof | Mar 31, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible