Magician by Raymond E. Feist
Authors:Raymond E. Feist
Info:London Panther 1984, c1982 831p 18cm pbk
Tags:fiction

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

1 (6) 20th century (7) adventure (6) American (7) Book 1 (7) epic (17) epic fantasy (16) fantasy (619) fantasy fiction (12) Feist (16) fiction (223) hardcover (8) high fantasy (14) Kelewan (8) magic (50) magicians (11) Midkemia (50) novel (23) own (14) paperback (9) Raymond Feist (12) read (46) Riftwar (120) science fiction (21) series (24) sf (7) sff (28) to-read (21) war (10) wizards (8)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
This book took me almost a year to complete (keep in mind I had pregnancy and birth during that year!) but I'm glad that I finally finished it! Very slow to get going but once it did it was fantastic!
  phenske | Jul 28, 2013 |
The worldbuilding in this series is glorious. I read this at the age of eleven or so and was half in love with all the characters. I should read this again, I don't think I'll regret it. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The beginning entry into the best fantasy book series I have read in my life. IT is a little pulpy, but Feist really does a great job building the universe that the whole series exists in.

If you like book series, give this one a go, there are about 15 books that follow. All of them are pretty good and follow the events of Feist's made up world. ( )
  jgreenia | Oct 29, 2012 |
This is the first book in the 'Riftwar Cycle', first published in 1982. Pug, a young orphan boy with undeveloped powers is apprenticed to a master magician in Crydee, a frontier outpost in the Kingdom of the Isles. Suddenly the Kingdom is overrun by alien invaders who have come through a rift from another world. Pug and his friend Tomas are swept up into the conflict which lasts for many years.

This book was originally reduced in size by it's editors, but re-published in 1992 in an edition entitled 'The Author's Preferred Edition' which has seen much of the original text restored. To be honest, I wish I had read the original version. The story seemed to drag on interminably and I found myself becoming exasperated and skimming more and more pages in an almost desperate bid to finish it and move on to something better. I found the characters underdeveloped and this meant that I couldn't really identify with and empathise with them. There also seems too many unnecessary characters - the inclusion of a character list at the beginning of the book would have helped here. Too much unnecessary detail and dialogue detracted from other good points of the story. Very disappointing, I will not bother with the sequals. ( )
  boppisces | Sep 5, 2012 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guarnieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A boy's will is the wind's will.
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts.
—Longfellow, My Lost Youth

We were, fair queen,
Two lads that thought there was no more behind
But such a day to-morrow as to-day,
And to be boy eternal.
-SHAKESPEARE,
The Winter's Tale,
Act 1, Scene 2
Dit boek is opgedragen aan de herinnering aan mijn vader Felix E. Feist, in alle opzichten een magiër.

This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This work contains both "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master".
The original UK editions in one volume (this work) were split into two volumes for the US market.

Raymond E. Feist's classic fantasy epic, Magician, has enchanted readers for over twenty years. The revised edition was prepared to celebrate the tenth anniversary of its publication, and incorporates over 15,000 words of text omitted from previous editions. At Crydee, a frontier outpost in the tranquil Kingdom of the Isles, an orphan boy, Pug, is apprenticed to a master magician -- and the destinies of two worlds are changed forever. Suddenly the peace of the Kingdom is destroyed as mysterious alien invaders swarm the land. Pug is swept up into the conflict but for him and his warrior friend, Tomas, an odyssey into the unknown has only just begun. Tomas will inherit a legacy of savage power from an ancient civilization. Pug's destiny is to lead him through a rift in the fabric of space and time to the mastery of the unimaginable powers of a strange new magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:50 -0400)

At Crydee, a frontier outpost in the tranquil Kingdom of the Isles, an orphan boy, Pug, is apprenticed to a master magician and the destinies of two worlds are changed forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible