Bartimäus: Die Pforte des Magiers.…

Bartimäus: Die Pforte des Magiers. Bartimäus 03.: Bd 3 (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Jonathan Stroud, Jonathan Stroud (Author), Katharina Orgaß (Übersetzer), Gerald Jung (Übersetzer)

Member:The-Boffin
Title:Bartimäus: Die Pforte des Magiers. Bartimäus 03.: Bd 3
Authors:Jonathan Stroud
Other authors:Jonathan Stroud (Author), Katharina Orgaß (Übersetzer), Gerald Jung (Übersetzer)
Info:Cbj (2008), Broschiert, 608 pages

Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud (2006)

English (69)  German (4)  All languages (73)
I don't know why this book took my so long to read, because it was fantastic from beginning to end. Bartimaeus is always awesome. Nathaniel is, y'know, annoying, but also awesome. Same for Kitty.

Jonathan Stroud has very human characters, which I appreciate. They've all got quite a lot of layers, and the way that they're presented makes them just seem very very human. So while I find Nathaniel and Kitty annoying, I like them both very much as well.

The plot is really great too. Perfectly balanced. I don't want to give too much away, though.

And the ending. Oh my gosh the ending. Beautiful. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jun 15, 2015 |
After a continuous spell on Earth for two years, the djinni Bartimaeus is weakened and no longer the imposing presence he once was; no longer is he in possession of astonishing levels of power, even if he still displays the usual very sharp tongue and acid sarcasm. Following his success with the golem, Nathaniel has been promoted to Information Minister and now sits on the Council with the most senior government magicians, churning out pamphlets to sell the necessary war with the American colonies to the commoners, who are mostly providing the cannon fodder. Meanwhile, Kitty Jones has taken on not just one, but two secret identities and managed to get access to magicians' books and libraries, pursuing a plan of her own. But a traitor with links to the government has hatched a terrible plan, and it falls to Nathaniel, Kitty and Bartimaeus to put their differences aside and act together to repel the threat to London and the rest of the country.

Even though it takes a long time to get moving properly (around 200 pages), when it does, it does so at a frenetic and breathless pace right to the end, and what an explosive ending it is. Hat off to Jonathan Stroud for manipulating my emotions to skilfully: amid the sheer horror, Bartimaeus keep his head and often injects some much-needed lightness and humour into the rather dark proceedings, which also display some unexpected poignancy at the end. The author leaves us in no doubt that this is the end of the adventures with the three unlikely allies and I will miss them all, though I might return to hear Bartimaeus's inimitable voice once again in The Ring of Solomon (written after Ptolemy's Gate, this is a prequel). Now I just need to get my breath back after exhausting myself following them around and watching them stumble from one scrape to the next. ( )
  passion4reading | May 25, 2015 |

*SPOILER WARNING*

What? WHAT???!!! . . . No, you can't end this well written, thought provoking series this way -
I NEED ICE-CREAM AND A HUG!!!

*Sobs and seeks out Hagen-das to dull the pain*

OK, I understand it is Stroud's excellent writing that has made me emotionally invested in the main human character's journey (from a selfish child-genius, to an actual, do-the-right-thing HERO) and they are all his characters to ultimately do with as he will - but seriously - f... fu... fuck that ending.

*continues to sob into a container of melted ice-cream while confused husband slowly and carefully backs away* ( )
  NotaSaint | May 10, 2015 |
This is the third in a series of books about magicians who lead all the great governments, oppress the non-magicians (commoners) and enslave the djinis.This book follows the Amulet of Samarkand and the Golem's Eye. My favorite part of the books is the way Stroud weaves historical events and figures into the the stories. This technique makes me go and look things up and read about them.

One thing I noted in listening to this book in 2010 is that the council doesn't acknowledge that Nathaniel has gotten them out of pretty major scrapes in the past (previous 2 books) and doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt. Are they morons? Blind? ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud (?)
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Isabelle, with love
The assassins dropped into the palace grounds at midnight, four fleet shadows dark against the wall. (Prologue)
Times change.

Nathaniel, Kitty
and Bartimaeus battle
legion of demons.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078683868X, Paperback)

Three years have passed since the magician Nathaniel helped prevent a cataclysmic attack on London. Now an established member of the British Government, he faces unprecedented problems: foreign wars are going badly; Britain`s enemies are mounting attacks close to London; and rebellion is fomenting among the commoners. Increasingly imperious and distracted, Nathaniel is treating Bartimaeus worse than ever. The longsuffering djinni is growing weak and vulnerable from too much time in this world and is nearing the end of his patience. Meanwhile, Nathaniel`s longtime rival Kitty has been stealthily completing her research on magic, demons, and Bartimaeus`s past. She has a daring plan that she hopes will break the endless cycle of conflict between djinn and humans. But will anyone listen to what she has to say? In this glorious conclusion to the Bartimaeus trilogy, the destinies of Bartimaeus, Nathaniel, and Kitty converge once more. Together the threesome faces treacherous magicians, a complex conspiracy, and a rebellious faction of demons. To survive, they must test the limits of this world and question the deepest parts of themselves. And most difficult of all-they will have to learn to trust one another.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

Bartimaeus, Nathanial, and Kitty face treacherous magicians and an enemy from "The Other Place" that threatens London and the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible