Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Eats, Shoots & Leaves (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lynne Truss

Member:thewalrussaid
Title:Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Authors:Lynne Truss
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:non-fiction

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss (Author) (2003)

English (257)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (262)
from the convention; a light look at the different punctuation marks such as the apostrophe, semicolon, etc. Written by a Brit, she includes the nuances that vary in America. Lots of examples showing how different placement of punctuation, or no punctuation at all, can alter the meaning of the written word. In the end of the book, she takes on email and text messages - and their own brand of punctuation that's been introduced. An intriguing look at something not really thought about until you see it wrong in a book and wonder - did the author really mean that?! ( )
  nancynova | Jun 15, 2015 |
It's true, I really didn't read this when it came out. And having read it now, I can't feel too bad about that. I am emphatically not a linguistic prescriptivist, so the chapters on the terrible slow death of communication were nothing but grating to me. I did like the little histories, and Truss has a deft hand with an example, but overall I wasn't blown away. ( )
  jen.e.moore | May 28, 2015 |
This fun spin on a traditional grammar book is a great resource for any elementary school teacher, or any grammar teacher. for that manner, and for those who are irked by incorrectly constructed signs, aderts, or other public media. Lynne Truss takes her history as a word nerd who became an editor and writer and turns it into a fairly useful and very amusing grammar discussion and remedial text. Without embarrassment, she compells readers to join in her revulsion of bad grammar yet tolerance of grammatical preferences by highlighting examples of all kinds of istakes, arguments, and difficulties that arise from converting the spoken word into a written format. The layout and alignment are a traditional text, though the grammar examples are indented and the rules listed italicized. The overall tone is one of British bemusement at the state of the Queen's English, primarily in Britain itself. She even treats Americans fairer than other British authors in regard to the influence of American culture on British education, saying that it is not the fault of the influence, but the attitude of the teachers toward punctuation. The book serves to help illuminate the pitfalls of having an increasingly written public discourse with an decreasing emphasis on proper punctuation. ( )
  gemerritt | Apr 24, 2015 |
I read all the books like this that I can find. I used the bibliography of this to find more. I can't evaluate them objectively.

Ok, ETA. I just read and loved [b:The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left|542046|The Fight for English How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left|David Crystal|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348717095s/542046.jpg|529385] which is a response to the 'zero-tolerance' part of Truss's book by the wonderful & wise [a:David Crystal|18265|David Crystal|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1273018417p2/18265.jpg]. He wrote about a lot more than just Truss in his concise overview, but I noted one thing he said that I want to mention here. He seems to think people are thinking of this book as a Usage Manual.

Gad I hope not! I mean, yes, Truss has some good tips. But this is popular because it's funny! It's tongue-in-cheek, almost a parody of punditry in some ways. Please, if you want a real usage manual, get something like [b:The Chicago Manual of Style/The Elements of Style|1320638|The Chicago Manual of Style/The Elements of Style|William Strunk|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348084714s/1320638.jpg|2176636] or a textbook or something. Read Truss for *fun.*

And read Crystal, too, for fun and for enlightenment. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I love, love LOVE this book! ( )
  swingingnorske | Apr 7, 2015 |
The first punctuation mistake in “Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation” (Gotham; $17.50), by Lynne Truss, a British writer, appears in the dedication, where a nonrestrictive clause is not preceded by a comma. It is a wild ride downhill from there.

When [Truss] stops straining at lawks-a-mussy chirpiness and analyzes punctuation malpractice, she is often persuasive

The passion and fun of her arguments are wonderfully clear. Here is someone with abiding faith in the idea that ''proper punctuation is both the sign and the cause of clear thinking.''

Lynne Truss's book is (stay with this sentence, and remember the function of punctuation is to 'tango the reader into the pauses, inflections, continuities and connections that the spoken word would convey') as much an argument for clear thinking as it is a pedantic defence of obsolete conventions of written language.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Nigel Williams (Nov 9, 2003)

Truss, LynneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Byrnes, PatIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCourt, FrankForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunn, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of the striking Bolshevik printers of St Petersburg who, in 1905, demanded to be paid the same rate for punctuation marks as for letters, and thereby directly precipitated the first Russian Revolution
Either this will ring bells for you, or it won't.
On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune.
But I can't help feeling that our punctuation system, which has served the written word with grace and ingenuity for centuries, must not be allowed to disappear without a fight.
A panda walks into a cafe.

He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.
"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.
"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."
The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.
"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
This is not the same work as:

1.  "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: Why, Commas Do Make a Difference!", which is the children's version of the book;

2. the various calendars inspired by this book;

3. "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: Cutting a Dash", which is a recording of a radio show associated with the book.
We all know the basics of punctuation. Or do we? A look at most neighborhood signage tells a different story. Through sloppy usage and low standards on the internet, in email, and now text messages, we have made proper punctuation an endangered species. In Eats, Shoots & Leaves, former editor Lynne Truss dares to say, in her delightfully urbane, witty, and very English way, that it is time to look at our commas and semicolons and see them as the wonderful and necessary things they are. This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset when it is mishandled. From the invention of the question mark in the time of Charlemagne to George Orwell shunning the semicolon, this lively history makes a powerful case for the preservation of a system of printing conventions that is much too subtle to be mucked about with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142800821, Audio CD)

In 2002 Lynne Truss presented Cutting a Dash, a well-received BBC Radio 4 series about punctuation, which led to the writing of Eats, Shoots & Leaves. The book became a runaway success in the UK, hitting number one on the bestseller lists and prompting extraordinary headlines such as Grammar Book Tops Bestseller List (BBC News). With more than 500,000 copies of her book in print in her native England, Lynne Truss is ready to rally the troops on this side of the pond with her rousing cry, Sticklers unite!

Through sloppy usage and low standards on the Internet, in e-mail, and now text messages, we have made proper punctuation an endangered species. In Eats, Shoots & Leaves, former editor Lynne Truss dares to say, in her delightfully urbane, witty and very English way, that it is time to look at our commas and semicolons and see them as the wonderful and necessary things they are. If there are only pedants left who care, then so be it. This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset when it is mishandled. From George Orwell shunning the semicolon, to New Yorker editor Harold Ross's epic arguments with James Thurber over commas, this lively history makes a powerful case for the preservation of a system of printing conventions that is much too subtle to be mucked about with.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:34 -0400)

Looks at the history of punctuation and the rules governing the use of apostrophes, commas, dashes, hyphens, colons, and semicolons.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible