Crooked Little Heart: A Novel by Anne Lamott

Crooked Little Heart: A Novel (original 2011; edition 1998)

by Anne Lamott (Author)

Series: Rosie Ferguson (2)

Anne Lamott's new novel gives us an exuberant, richly absorbing portrait of a family for whom the joys and sorrows of everyday life are magnified under the glare of the unexpected. Rosie Ferguson, on the cusp of adolescence, is obsessed with tournament tennis. Her mother is a recovering alcoholic still grieving the death of her first husband; her stepfather, a struggling writer, is wrestling with his own demons. And now Rosie finds that her athletic gifts, once a source of triumph and escape, place her in peril, as a shadowy man who stalks her from the sidelines seems to be developing an obsession of his own.… (more)
Member:NCVW
Title:Crooked Little Heart: A Novel
Authors:Anne Lamott (Author)
Info:Anchor (1998), Edition: Reprint, 326 pages

Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott (2011)

I loved Lamott's [Bird by Bird] and her non-fiction titles on faith. So, I decided to give one of her novels a try. Lamott seems more at home in the world of non-fiction than she did in this fiction work. Metaphors and similes choked the narrative to the point of distraction. And she seemed interested in stretching the plot points out to lengthen the book. Overall, not impressed enough to keep the book in my library. I won't quit reading Lamott, but I will likely stick to the non-fiction. ( )
  blackdogbooks | Apr 4, 2021 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 2, 2017 |
Rich girls playing tennis most of the time. ( )
  CarolKub | Jun 21, 2010 |
  MsPibel | Nov 6, 2009 |
Enjoyable. ( )
  courtb | Aug 4, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt--marvrellous error!--
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures
--Antonio Machado, from "Times Alone"
This one is for the Smiths, Bill, Emmy, Nell, Luisa, and Sam, and for Leroy Lounibos.
Rosie and her friends were blooming like spring, budding, lithe, agile as cats.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,494,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible