Dixie City Jam: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by…

Dixie City Jam: A Dave Robicheaux Novel (edition 1995)

by James Lee Burke (Author)

Member:scribulous
Title:Dixie City Jam: A Dave Robicheaux Novel
Authors:James Lee Burke (Author)
Info:Hyperion (1995), 502 pages
Tags:fiction

Dixie City Jam by James Lee Burke

Recently added byprivate library, megemeg, powertriangle, slowpainter, paxx, The_Pauler, DeBruyn, AlainCipit, scribulous

English (11)  Danish (1)  All languages (12)
I am reading the Dave Robicheaux series in order and got this one from hoopla from my local library. This is the story of a Nazi submarine in the waters near New Orleans. When a Jewish man in New Orleans tries to hire Dave to find the submarine it attracts some real lowlifes into his life. How Dave outwits the lowlifes makes for an interesting story. Really enjoyed this one. Loving the series so far. Highly recommend this book and the series. ( )
  CrystalToller | Mar 5, 2019 |
My first James Lee Burke and my first Dave Robicheaux. I was impressed by the quality of the prose, by its occasionally gentle insights into the human condition, by the evocative lyricism of the New Orleans setting and its language. Great characters, great pacing. I was utterly capitivated by the opening chapter, which describes Robicheaux's first encounter with the Nazi U-Boat, but this plot device eventually became as a silly as an Indiana Jones movie. Ultimately there are lots of silly things about this book, but it grabs you. Will probably read at least one more in the series, and more by Burke. ( )
  Quickpint | Mar 30, 2014 |
Under the salt of the Gulf of Mexico, off the Louisiana coast lies a buried Nazi submarine. Detective Dave Robicheaux of the New Iberia Sheriff's office has known of its existence since childhood. Then, as a teenager, he stumbled upon the sunken sub while scuba diving - but for years he kept the secret of its watery grave. Decades later, when a powerful Jewish activist wants the sub raised, Robicheaux's knowledge puts him at the center of a terrifying struggle of conflicting desires. A neo-Nazi psychopath named Will Buchalter , who insists that the Holocaust was a hoax, wants to find the submarine first - and he'll stop at nothing to get Robicheaux to talk. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jan 30, 2013 |
I love James Lee Burke! I've read almost all of this series. His character, Dave Robicheaux struggles with being a recovering alcoholic and suffers from PTSD. As an author I feel Burke is extremely honest and open, while revealing a character who is not. His work gives me great insight into an addictive, conflicted, sometimes violent personality. But this character is also loving and passionate and devoted to those he loves. I would say redemption is one of Burke's main themes.
  MarieTea | May 29, 2012 |
Dave Robicheaux is a detective working in the New Orleans area of America. A sunken Nazi submarine has been discovered just off the Louisiana coast. Various factions are interested in raising it,including crime-bosses and Neo-Nazis. Robicheaux knows the approximate position of the sub and this knowledge brings him and his family to the attention of some very nasty people.
This is my first reading of a book by James Lee Burke and I report with mixed feelings. The writing is without doubt superb with great descriptions of the area. My reservations are with the characters however. They are (with a couple of exceptions) whether hero or villain,completely and utterly vile ! The so-called good and law-abiding characters are just as likely to kill and maim,as are the bad guys.
I am therefore in a quandery with this one - On one hand,here we have a obviously good writer who has produced a very readable and exciting book. On the other side of the coin we have one of those stories that leave a nasty taste in the mouth and characters with which one has little or no sympathy.
Although the rating as given is not perfect , my 3½ is the nearest to my overall feeling with this one. ( )
  devenish | Oct 1, 2011 |

James Lee Burkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hammer, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Porteus and Alice Burke
Not many people believe this, but in the early months of 1942 Nazi submarines used to lie in wait at the mouth of the Mississippi for the tankers that sailed without naval escort from the oil refineries at Baton Rouge into the Gulf of Mexico.
Danish title (1995): Dixie

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786889004, Mass Market Paperback)

Cajun detective Dave Robicheaux matches wits with neo-Nazi psychopath Will Buchalter to find a sunken German submarine, while a Mafia war explodes in New Orleans. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

For years, Det. Dave Robicheaux of the New Iberia Sheriff's office kept the secret of the watery resting place of the Nazi submarine. Now decades later, when a powerful Jewish activist and a neo-Nazi psychopath named Will Buchalter both want to find the sub first, Robicheaux's knowledge puts him at the center of a terrifying struggle of conflicting desires.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible