A Place of Safety (1999)

by Caroline Graham

Two women fight in an English village, one falls in a river and does not surface, the other is blackmailed by a man. The man is killed, then another blackmail note arrives. Inspector Barnaby investigates.

It was nice to finally read one that I hadn’t watched yet. I could see little bits and pieces of things I had seen, but the overall plot was original and I couldn’t guess the ending. Well, not until almost the ending ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
An enjoyable mystery as the sixth book in the Inspector Barnaby series. The characters are interesting and, in contrast to most other detective books, Barnaby reflects upon his mistakes and his strategies for interviewing witnesses. ( )
  M_Clark | May 27, 2021 |
A quarrel with one of the unfortunates taken in by her husband involves Ann Lawrence in a case of blackmail and suspected and actual murder. Can Tom Barnaby sort it out?

Good, fun mystery. Not as cozy as the TV versions (Troy is much nastier in the books) but it kept me entertained. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 27, 2020 |
A PLACE OF SAFETY turns out to be very unsafe. A PLACE OF SAFETY is Book 6 of Caroline Graham’s Inspector Barnaby mystery series.
The title is an excellent mystery with interesting, quirky characters; lovely locations and many twists and turns for Inspector Barnaby and his Sargent, Gavin Troy.
Ms. Graham’s mystery series is the basis and inspiration for the British television series, Midsomer Murders, now in its 21st season.
A small village is “deep in chaos as long-kept secrets begin to unravel”.
This title is very suspenseful and interesting. I especially liked the ‘insights’ on ‘do-gooders’. Spot on, I thought.
I highly recommend this series by Caroline Graham and the television series it inspired. ( )
  diana.hauser | Dec 9, 2019 |
I love this series, with its dry wit and intriguing plots. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For my friend

PATRICIA HOULIHAN

without whom none of it
would have happened
Every night, at exactly the same time and whatever the weather, Charlie Leathers took the dog for a walk.
"We meet them all the time, Sergeant. The trouble with you is, you've no relish for eccentrics."
"If you say so, sir."
Relish, huh. What's to relish? As far as Sergeant Troy was concerned, eccentrics was just a poncy word for weirdos. He liked people who ran along predictable lines. The others just tossed a spanner in the works and screwed up life for everybody else.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible