Long Time No See: A Novel by Susan Isaacs

Long Time No See: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Susan Isaacs (Author)

Series: Judith Singer (2)

Judith Singer is back! After twenty years, Susan Isaacs brings us back the heroine from Compromising Positions, her first and most beloved novel, and returns to a great suspense story set in suburbia. Judith's life has changed. She now has her doctorate in history. Her workaday hours are spent at St. Elizabeth's College, mostly squandered in history department shriek-fests. She also is a widow. Her husband, Bob, died one-half day after triumphantly finishing the New York City Marathon in four hours and twelve minutes. And although twenty years have passed without her seeing him, she still cannot get her former lover, Nelson Sharpe, of the Nassau County Police Department, out of her system. With Courtney Logan's dramatic disappearance, all eyes turn instantly toward her husband, Greg Logan, son of Long Island mobster Philip "Fancy Phil" Lowenstein. But since there is no body, there is no arrest. Then, in the less than merry month of May, Judith comes home from work, turns on the radio, and hears the Logans' pool man telling a reporter that he opened the pool and found...a raccoon? Not quite. "I see, you know, it's...a body! Jeez. Believe it or not, I'm still shaking." The woman in the pool turns out to be Courtney, and now it's officially homicide. And Judith comes alive! She offers her services to the police's chief suspect, Greg Logan, but he shows her the door, thinking her just another neighborhood nut. But his father isn't so sure: Fancy Phil may have other plans for her.… (more)
Member:Anne.Hoffman
Title:Long Time No See: A Novel
Authors:Susan Isaacs (Author)
Info:Harper (2001), Edition: 1st, 368 pages

Long Time No See by Susan Isaacs (2001)

Wonderful characters, witty and skillful writing, great story. A little mystery, a little romance. Loved the book! ( )
  smallwonder56 | Mar 13, 2018 |
Worthy sequel to [b:Compromising Positions|291341|Compromising Positions|Susan Isaacs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1348472621s/291341.jpg|869480].

I have glanced at some of the reviews and I am willing to bet that at least some of the lower reviews came from people under 40. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
While it has been a few years since I read Compromising Positions, and this was the sequel that was twenty years in the making, I don't feel this was anywhere near the quality of the original. The main character has become a combination of whiny, late middle-age bimbo (she wasn't like that in her thirties) and the love interest doesn't appear to have changed (from the mental aspect) in all that time. The whodunit aspect was quite intriguing up to the midway point where it bcame predictable and plodding. Don't get me wrong, there are some interesting characters and some quick, if a bit biting, wit bandied about, enough to get you through the book. ( )
  debavp | Nov 7, 2010 |
It's been twenty years, and Judith's life has definitely changed. Now a history professor and a widow, she hasn't seen Nelson Sharpe of the Nassau County Police Dept. in all that time. But she still can't get her one-time lover out of her head. Her life takes an unexpected turn, however, when former investment banker turned suburban mommy extraordinaire Courtney Logan vanishes from Long Island into thin air.

Everyone suspects husband, Greg, the darkly handsome son of flashy Long Island mobster Fancy Phil Lowenstein. Ever the good neighbor, Judith offers her services to Greg, but he shows her the door, thinking she's just a nut. His father, however, isn't so sure--he just may have other plans for the wily Judith...
  CLDunn | Sep 26, 2007 |
Love Susan Issacs! Can't believe I've never read her before. She managed to write a whodunit book that's not creepy or grotesque. Sometimes I'm reading it not even caring who was the murderer, as long as I got to read more about the crazy and funny characters. Even though the protagonist, Judith Singer, committed adultery, Isaacs made me unwilling to judge her too harshly. Judith's neurotic musings and one-liners kept the book at a brisk pace and made it such a good lunchtime read. Must get more of her books. ( )
  emigre | Oct 18, 2006 |
To Larry Ashmead
my editor and my friend
with love
On an unseasonably warm Halloween night, while I was reading a snappy treatise on Wendell Willkie's support of FDR's war policies and handing out the occasional bag of M&M's to a trick-or-treater, the fair-haired and dimpled Courtney Logan, age thirty-four, magna cum laude graduate of Princeton, erstwhile investment banker at Patton Giddings, wife of darkly handsome Greg, mother of five-year-old Morgan and eighteen-month-old Travis, canner of peach salsa, collector of vintage petit point, and ex-president of Citizens for a More Beautiful Shorehaven vanished from Long Island into thin air.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,110,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible