Everything's Eventual, Movie Tie-In: 14 Dark…

Everything's Eventual, Movie Tie-In: 14 Dark Tales (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Stephen King

This volume is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King. These tales that include the much-touted Internet-download phenomenon, "Riding the Bullet"; "The Little Sisters of Eluria," a Dark Tower prequel; the novella-length title story; and "L.T's Theory of Pets," King's personal favorite within the group, which was previously available only in audio. Not only do the action-based plots and engaging narratives hold up well within the realm of King's work, but tales like the 1996 O. Henry Award-winning Nathaniel Hawthorne homage, "The Man in the Black Suit," show us King at his literary best. An added bonus for fans is King's story-by-story annotation, in which he chronicles the event, thought, or image that served as his creative impetus.… (more)
Member:Bethie
Title:Everything's Eventual, Movie Tie-In: 14 Dark Tales
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales by Stephen King (2002)

Recently added bylibraryface, rena75, private library, Timzor, Bibliofowl, tony.barnett71
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Hotel Eden Stories by Ron Carlson (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. ...for instance...The Hotel Eden by Ron Carlson..."
    Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. Sam the Cat by Matthew Klam, for instance..."
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (MandaTheStrange)
    Elvisland by John Farris (Scottneumann)
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (82)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (92)
For the most part, I enjoy reading Stephen King's works. Some of his books stay with you long after you have read them. Some don't. I find that what I like best are the introductions and comments regarding the stories that he has written. I also enjoy reading his essays and musings on life. His novels tend to be a little too heavy with the descriptions for me.
My thoughts on the stories in this collection:
Autopsy Room Four - a good story, but felt like the subject matter had been done too many other times.
The Man in the Black Suit - I really liked this story. Scary subject matter.
All That You Love Will Be Carried Away - the idea of writing down restroom graffiti in a book was interesting, and I liked reading the examples. But I would have liked more of an idea of why the man thought his life was so bad.
The Death of Jack Hamilton - boring
In the Deathroom - This was a good story. No supernatural elements, just the evil of people. Liked it all, except the very end.
The Little Sisters of Eluria - felt like reading a novel. I liked the story, it made me want to read the Dark Tower series.
Everything's Eventual - liked the story, and the idea of the job Dinky has. It was an interesting existance.
L. T.'s Theory of Pets - enjoyed the story, but not sure what happened at the very end. The Axe Man?
The Road Virus Heads North - scary, scary story
Lunch at the Gotham Café - liked the story, except for the very end.
That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French - Creepy, the story was unveiled slowly
1408 - scary, but not the scariest in the book
Riding the Bullet - liked it, an interesting dilemma for Alan.
Luckey Quarter - I liked the fantasy.
So overall, I enjoyed the book. I like the short story format. Easy to just read one or two as time allows. Stephen King is good at writing short stories. ( )
1 vote readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Im Kabinett des Todes bietet 14 Kurzgeschichten ganz unterschiedlicher Coleur, die jedoch jede auf ihre eigene Art und Weise unter die Haut geht. Dabei wird jede Kurzgeschichte von einer Anmerkung eingeleitet, die über die Hintergründe Aufschluss geben. Es ist faszinierend zu erfahrne, woher King seine Ideen nimmt und welche noch so kleinen Dinge ihn inspirieren, sie in Geschichten festzuhalten. Ich persönlich denke, dass dies King als Autor einfach ausmacht. Er schafft es selbst in nur 13 Seiten viel Emotion zu verpacken.

Dabei haben mich die beiden Geschichten Achterbahn und Glüggsbringer am meisten berührt, aber auch Der Mann im schwarzen Anzug, L.T.s Theorie der Kuscheltiere und Lunch im Gotham Café gehen unter die Haut. Jede Geschichte hat ihre Stärken und Schwächen, aber der Hauptfokus liegt wie immer auf den Figuren, auf ihren Gedanken und ihrem Gefühlsleben.

Lediglich Die Kleinen Schwestern von Eluria schlägt dabei thematisch etwas aus der Reihe, hat es aber doch geschafft, mich auf die Dunkle Turm-Reihe neugierig zu machen. Nicht nur der Lieblingsmensch schwärmt von dieser Reihe, vor der ich mich bisher immer etwas gedrückt habe und die ich mir im Rahmen des King Projekts für den Schluss aufhebe.

Fazit:
Mit Im Kabinett des Todes zementiert Stephen King einmal mehr seine Stellung als meisterhafter Geschichtenerzähler und begeistert mich erneut. Mehr kann ich eigentlich nicht sagen. Definitiv lesenswert. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
I think many (most?) King fans will admit that King is at his best in the short form. King's full-length novels can sometimes ramble and fail to end, while his short works exploit the horrifying imagination that has made him famous. This collection generally holds to that truism, with the stories ranging from thoughtful to straight-up horrifying. In my opinion, none of the stories are duds but "That Feeling You Can Only Say What It Is in French" and the title story, "Everything's Eventual" are real standouts. I will say that I was surprised by how many of these stories had no really supernatural/horror element to them and simply relied on the everyday cruelties people carry out to tell the story. It was an interesting mix for someone whose name is so synonymous with the horror genre. ( )
  Jthierer | Feb 12, 2019 |
Solid! These 14 stories are vintage Stephen King. Scary, violent, thought-provoking, and mixed with his own particular brand of humor and irony. These beauties are highly reminiscent of some of the best of the original Twilight Zone episodes. I loved every one of them. Highly recommended for King fans and those who like a variety of his mastery of the genre'. ( )
  coachtim30 | Oct 18, 2018 |
14 amazing stories by master writer Stephen King. Every story collected shines with depravity and a sinister magic to capture the reader and hold them...kicking and screaming. This collection helps add to the reason why many of us look under the beds for the boogyman. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jun 11, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Straub, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
1408 (2007IMDb)
This is for Shane Leonard
It's so dark that for awhile-just how long I don't know-I think I'm still unconscious.
This is the collection "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.

Everything's Eventual is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King.
- Autopsy Room Four
- That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French
- 1408
- Riding the Bullet
- Luckey Quarter

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,350,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible