Extending the Table: Recipes and stories…

Extending the Table: Recipes and stories from Afghanistan to Zambia in the… (edition 2014)

by Joetta Handrich Schlabach (Author)

Member:UUFM-Library
Title:Extending the Table: Recipes and stories from Afghanistan to Zambia in the Spirit of More-with-Less (World Community Cookbook)
Authors:Joetta Handrich Schlabach (Author)
Info:Herald Press (2014), Edition: Revised ed., 344 pages
Tags:Cookbooks

Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook by Joetta Handrich Schlabach

Good international recipes that are environmentally and economically just. Some require a lot of time tho. ( )
  devandecicco | Dec 28, 2009 |
  devandecicco | Dec 28, 2009 |
For being a fairly random collection of recipes from many different contributers, I've never had a recipe in here that I made and didn't like. Maybe there's just enough so I can pick the good ones.

Also has lots of personal accounts of travel to parts of the world with far more scarcity than many of us in the States are used to experiencing. The accounts come off as pretty genuine though. ( )
  JonathanGorman | Nov 4, 2009 |
The cookbook draws on recipes developed or collected around the world by Mennonite missionaries. The recipes tend to use fresh ingredients, are mostly simple to prepare, and are faithful to their cultural origins. Perhaps reflecting their origins from many different families, the directions are not always consistent from one recipe to another, but are not hard to follow. Accompanying the recipes are proverbs, meditations, prayers, and stories about how food is viewed in other cultures or how people use food to build community and bridge cultural gaps. We cook from this cookbook frequently. ( )
  bezoar44 | Jan 25, 2009 |
This is not actually a vegetarian cookbook, but I added that tag, as it includes a very large proportion of vegetarian recipes.
  MarthaJeanne | Mar 18, 2008 |

Joetta Handrich Schlabachprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burnett, Kristina MastEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Longacre, PaulForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 083613561X, Spiral-bound)

Extending the Table calls itself "a world community cookbook," but it is far more than that. Yes, there are recipes here from all over the globe: Sesame Spinach Salad from Korea, Hunter's Stew from Poland, and Watermelon Jan from Botswana. There are myriad rice dishes, lots of recipes featuring beans and lentils, and an array of delicious beverages--from Philippine Punch to a Ginger Cooler from the Ivory Coast. But what makes this cookbook so special is its social conscience: following the lead of Doris Janzen Longacre, author of the More-with-Less Cookbook, Extending the Table invites readers to reduce their own levels of consumption and share resources with others around the world. Even more, it encourages us to learn from the global community. In addition to the recipes, there are stories about both individuals and whole cultures, explanations of the importance of certain types of food in different lands, and the rituals that surround particular meals. Extending the Table is the work of the Mennonite Central Committee, and many of the contributors are missionaries whose faith in the values of humility, community, and respect for others imbues the pages of this thought-provoking book. Extending the Table is truly food for the body and soul!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

From the Foreword:Extending the Table is an invitation..to enjoy the gifts of people from Argentina and Bangladesh to Yugoslavia and Zambia. The stories and recipes help us enter into the lives and situations of these people and to be changed by them in significant ways. Food is a medium of communication, but it is more; in a mysterious way, it is part of the message, as Jesus so vividly portrayed in the breaking of bread and distribution of the cup.Extending the Table follows in the tradition of Doris Janzen Longacre's More-with-Less Cookbook, especially her Living More with Less, which I, as her husband, competed after her death. Both books challenged us to learn from the world community, to celebrate with joy, and to care for the earth. Extending the Table presents recipes and stories of people around the world. Many of them live with few material resources, yet they share gifts which point us toward a different and freer way of life.Extending the Table is much more than a cookbook. It will most often be found on the kitchen shelf, but it could just as well fit comfortably on the bedside stand or coffee table for inspirational reading. Let it also find its way onto the pastor's shelf for its excellent sermon illustrations and stories.For all of us, it provides repeated opportunities to take part in the lives of people around the world and to delight in the wealth they have to offer. As we are able to treat other peoples and traditions with respect and tenderness, we too are changed.-Paul Longacre, December 1990… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible