Fahrenheit 451: A Novel by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451: A Novel (original 1953; edition 2013)

by Ray Bradbury (Author)

46,63590722 (4.02)1 / 1360
The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires, and he enjoys his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames. He never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid and a professor who told him of a future in which people could think. Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do.… (more)
Member:sik7
Title:Fahrenheit 451: A Novel
Authors:Ray Bradbury (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: Reissue, 249 pages

Work Information

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Morteana)
    The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    Shadowlife by Martin Grzimek (spiphany)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (generalkala)
    generalkala: Also concerns book burning and their rescue.

1950s (1)
Read (40)

English (838)  Spanish (22)  Italian (13)  French (8)  Finnish (5)  German (5)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Hebrew (1)  Vietnamese (1)  Polish (1)  Greek (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (904)
DNF at 43% read

You've seen the move, now read the book. Which is what I did and I don't think that was a good idea.

The book jumps right into the story and you get introduced to people as they come up.

It seems like a story from the future, yet the cost of everything (and equally the pay) seems like the past. The cost of tearing down a wall and putting up a tv costs 1/3 of the yearly pay of a firefighter.

Some paragraphs I think are very long, while sometimes that's ok, sometimes they feel like a run-on.

"Have you seen the two-hundred-foot-long billboards in the country beyond town? Did you know that once billboards were only twenty feet long? But cars started rushing by so quickly they had to stretch the advertising out so it would last."

"No one has time any more for anyone else. You’re one of the few who put up with me. That’s why I think it’s so strange you’re a fireman, it just doesn’t seem right for you, somehow."

"It’s been a long time since anyone cared enough to ask."

While did I finish this book? It seemed like there was so much filler, and while that does create a backstory of what happens, I feel like there were many things that could have been removed. Maybe I should have read this book before watching the movie, maybe not.
  Authentico | May 22, 2022 |
Framtíðarsýn Rays Bradburys í þessari vísindaskáldsögu er glögg að mörgu leyti en um leið hryllileg.
Hann lýsir hér framtíðarríki sem bannar bækur og lætur markvisst eyða öllu ritefni því að raddir óánægjuhópa og ekki síst minnihlutahópa geta birst þar.
Að hluta til er þetta auðvelt fyrir ríkið því að almenningur hafði æ minni áhuga á lestri en því meiri áhuga á afþreyingu þar sem heilu veggirnir í íbúðum voru innréttaðir sem sjónvörp og allt snérist um skemmtun.
Slökkvilið var orðið óþarft því brunavarnir voru innbyggðar í húsnæði en í þess stað voru starfrækt Brunalið sem sáu um að leita uppi bækur og brenna þær.
Saga Bradburys er séð með augum brunaliðsmanns sem smám saman verður andsnúinn bókabrennunum og gerir að lokum tilraun til bókalesturs og flótta úr samfélaginu.
Bradbury segir bókabrennur nasista og fleiri menningarþjóða ásamt McCarthy-tímabilinu hafa orðið innblástur að ritun sögunnar sjá þessi merki þöggunar á gagnrýnni umræðu á prenti og fjölmiðlum víða í dag. Þetta er saga sem hlotið hefur ótal verðlaun og m.a. verið kvikmynduð 1966 af François Truffaut, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1. Mæli með sögunni. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
This book is an absolute must read, whether you're a bookworm or not this needs to be put in the hands of every person, preferably as soon as they are mature enough to handle the slightly questionable content in some places throughout the book. No body could ever change my mind on this one.

This is actually the third time I've read this book. I was 12 when I read it the first time, 16ish the second. Since that was far too long ago it was time to pick it back up and reread it (something I suggest everyone who has already read it in the past to do). The book was an instant favorite even at 12 and that hasn't changed. Fahrenheit 451 is one of those beautifully written stomach-churning stories, a warning at the time it was written and now it seems very close to our reality

This story is more than just books being burned (which, as a bibliophile is horrific enough to think of) it's about censorship of every kind, it's about tv's replacing any other form of entertainment, about everything reduced to the shortest headlines possible. Look around the popular social media sights, and probably your own text message log and you'll see emoji's and terms such as brb and lol have taken over and actual words are dwindling away. WE let this happen, just as they did in the book.
E-books are even taking over whats left of the literary world and while I do indeed utilize ebooks I make a point to purchase physical books as often as possible. Just reading a physical book is a statement of rebellion these days, akin to writing a handwritten letter and sending it off via post. Books are pieces memories, history, learning tools, entertainment, the better ones inspiring creativity and/or action. Bradbury knew this. Some of us still remember as well but others have long forgotten. So do the world a favor. Log off, turn off the tv and open a book. A physical book. and enjoy, knowing you're holding something that represents so much more than the story contained in the pages. ( )
1 vote chasingholden | Apr 26, 2022 |
This one will probably stick with me, I find Bradbury’s writing to be pretty captivating. Yet not among my favorites, not a lot of meat... ( )
  ds_db | Apr 25, 2022 |
Case 13 shelf 2
  semoffat | Apr 11, 2022 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Bradbury, Rayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
أحمد خالد توفيقTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

AR level 5.2, 7 pts
A fireman burns books
But then he dares to read one
And goes on the lam
(DarrylLundy)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,262,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible