Los Buscadores De Conchas by Rosamunde…

Los Buscadores De Conchas (original 1987; edition 1990)

by Rosamunde Pilcher

Artist's daughter Penelope Keeling can look back on a full and varied life: a Bohemian childhood in London and Cornwall, an unhappy wartime marriage, and the one man she truly loved. She has brought up three children - and learned to accept them as they are. Yet she is far too energetic and independent to settle sweetly into pensioned-off old-age. And when she discovers that her most treasured possession, her father's painting, The Shell Seekers, is now worth a small fortune, it is Penelope who must make the decisions that will determine whether her family can continue to survive as a family, or be split apart.… (more)
Member:fugaz_42
Title:Los Buscadores De Conchas
Authors:Rosamunde Pilcher
Info:Lectorum Pubns Inc (J) (1990), Paperback
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (Author) (1987)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (MyriadBooks)
    Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher (MyriadBooks)
    The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney (thea-block)
    thea-block: Similar stories of inheritance, entitled children, and the interactions between wealth/society/family. Startlingly similar characters - almost feels like the same story 30 years apart!
    Angel Puss by Colleen McCullough (Fliss88)

English (70)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Greek (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (77)
  archivomorero | Nov 9, 2022 |
April 2020: a most enjoyable novel in this odd time. ( )
  MakebaT | Sep 3, 2022 |
I seldom find myself blubbering over a book anymore. I used to do it when I was younger, but my insides seem to have toughened as I have aged. My sentimental side is harder to access, and even when a book evokes strong feelings I do not really cry. Well, Pilcher put the lie to that today. I cried like I was 15 again, felt foolish doing it, and felt clean and empty afterward.

OK, maybe I was just needing a good cry. It happens. But, there was something very touching in the way Pilcher presented this story; a truthfulness that made it special. It was a re-read, but goodness knows almost thirty years between reads made it brand new in many ways.

I thought of my own mother when I read these lines: "Yes, she was lovely. But more than that, she was warm and funny and loving. Hot-tempered one moment, and laughing the next. And she could make a home anywhere. She carried a sort of security about with her. I can't think of a single person who didn't love her. I still think about her every day of my life. Sometimes she seems very dead. And other times, I can't believe that she isn't somewhere in the house and that a door won't open and she'll be there."

For me, she nailed what it is to lose someone you truly love.

And this passage that might be best understood by someone my own age, and yet I know I must have understood it even when I was so young, reading this for the first time:

"A ring was the accepted sign of infinity, eternity. If her own life was that carefully described pencil line, she knew all at once that the two ends were drawing close together. I have come full circle, she told herself, and wondered what had happened to all the years. It was a question which, from time to time, caused her some anxiety and left her fretting with a dreadful sense of waste. But now, it seemed, the question had become irrelevant, and so the answer, whatever it was, was no longer of any importance."

Rosamunde Pilcher must have loved deeply, lost someone very close, known greedy and intemperate people, turned the earth in her own garden, shared meals with irreplaceable friends, and embraced a few kindred spirits in her day. She knows all those things too well to have made them up out of air. And, to some extent, that is what we all know of life. The details, the little things that make it bearable, the larger things that make it seems impossible to live through, these are the hallmarks of humanity. In the end, perhaps I cry not for the characters in a book but for myself. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Here's what I wrote at some point (not at the time of reading, clearly): "Only very hazy memory of reading." Seems to be well regarded in both the US and UK, one of author's most popular books. ( )
  MGADMJK | Jul 29, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |

Pilcher, RosamundeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, HannahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my children,
and their children.
She sometimes thought that for her, Nancy Chamberlain, the most straightforward or innocent occupation was doomed to become, inevitably, fraught with tedious complication.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,319,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible