Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman

Then She Found Me (1990)

by Elinor Lipman

Description
Given up for adoption 36 years ago, April Epner, now a quiet-living, sensible-jumper-wearing Latin teacher, has never had the desire to be reunited with her biological mother. When Bernice Graverman, the glamorous host of a successful TV talk show, flounces into her life, claiming to be her mother, April is horrified.

This was mostly about April and Bernice getting to know each other and developing a relationship. The mother, Bernice, was a very self-absorbed person and very opposite of her daughter. I think the mother was supposed to be humorous but she was mostly annoying. This was just a so-so story for me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Dec 31, 2017 |
Fun, light hearted, harlequin romance time book. Not great literature but fun to read. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 13, 2017 |
Elinor Lipman's books have been in my to read pile for a very long time. This is the first book I have read of hers and I found it to be delightful. A very quick, fun read. April is almost 30 when her birth mother finds her and they begin to develop a relationship. This book had a lot of heart and humor. It was heart warming and witty. It also included a whole cast of characters that were lonely and looking for love. Can't wait to read this authors other books!! ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Feb 15, 2017 |
an entertaining read, quite amusing. all dialogue -- which can be quite funny and wry -- and plot development. however, the plot and themes are a bit formulaic and predictable. find the hype about this book (from the book jacket) astounding and quite at odds to my reaction. ( )
  amaraki | Dec 26, 2015 |
In a nutshell: April Epner is a very single high school Latin teacher. All her life she has known she was adopted as a newborn. She had a good relationship with her Holocaust survivor parents and never really questioned her birth parents. What she didn't know until she was in her 30s is that her biological mother is none other than Bernice Graverman, star of her own over-the-top talk show: Bernice G! When Bernice takes over April's life by storm with her gaudy jewelry, loud outfits, glitzy lifestyle and overly aggressive matchmaking schemes April barely questions Bernice's authenticity as her biological mother. I found that really odd. Instead, April allows Bernice to constantly call her at work, butt into her personal life, and wreak havoc - all for the sake of being the mom Bernice says she always knew she could. The entire time I was reading Then She Found Me I wanted to know why April & Bernice didn't apply for DNA testing. HLA & PCR tests were both available in the 90s. It definitely comes up when April's biological father comes back into the picture. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Oct 20, 2015 |
For Bob and Ben
My biological mother was seventeen when she had me in 1952, and even that was more than I wanted to know about her.

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now she's ready to be Mother of the Year-and sh'es hurtling straight toward April's quiet little life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671686151, Paperback)

Meet April Epner, the serious, scholarly, adopted daughter of two equally staid parents. They die, but April finds that she's far from orphaned when her birth mother, Bernice Graverman, comes to claim April's heart and improve her wardrobe and love life, too. April is a Latin teacher, given to wearing flannel jumpers. Bernice is hostess of a third-rate daytime talk show and wears designer labels and toad-sized earrings. She descends upon April's quiet life with the tact of a size-six locust, and the delightful and surprising results of this unlikely reunion will keep you turning pages long after bedtime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:39 -0400)

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now that she's got her act together, she's aiming to be a mom like she always knew she could. And she's hurtling straight for April's quiet little life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,548,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible