Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman

Then She Found Me (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Elinor Lipman

Member:lahochstetler
Title:Then She Found Me
Authors:Elinor Lipman
Info:Washington Square Press (1991), Paperback, 307 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman (1990)

an entertaining read, quite amusing. all dialogue -- which can be quite funny and wry -- and plot development. however, the plot and themes are a bit formulaic and predictable. find the hype about this book (from the book jacket) astounding and quite at odds to my reaction. ( )
  amaraki | Dec 26, 2015 |
In a nutshell: April Epner is a very single high school Latin teacher. All her life she has known she was adopted as a newborn. She had a good relationship with her Holocaust survivor parents and never really questioned her birth parents. What she didn't know until she was in her 30s is that her biological mother is none other than Bernice Graverman, star of her own over-the-top talk show: Bernice G! When Bernice takes over April's life by storm with her gaudy jewelry, loud outfits, glitzy lifestyle and overly aggressive matchmaking schemes April barely questions Bernice's authenticity as her biological mother. I found that really odd. Instead, April allows Bernice to constantly call her at work, butt into her personal life, and wreak havoc - all for the sake of being the mom Bernice says she always knew she could. The entire time I was reading Then She Found Me I wanted to know why April & Bernice didn't apply for DNA testing. HLA & PCR tests were both available in the 90s. It definitely comes up when April's biological father comes back into the picture. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Oct 20, 2015 |
Book about a birth mother that finds her adult daughter and the relationship that ensues. ( )
  autumnesf | Feb 25, 2011 |
Enchanting, funny, warm-hearted and full of wisdom

I enjoyed reading this novel. Well, I needed some time to get to know the characters and to get drawn into the story but as soon as this had happened I really enjoyed the well written book. This is not a fairy tale about fantasy people you can classify in white and black. It´s a story about real people, who fall in love, make mistakes and how they cope with that.
Whenever I started to hate Bernice Graves because of her egoistical way of life and about her always wanting to be the centre of everything the story took a little turn so that I coulnd´t think in white and black any longer. Compelling, lovely written and with such a nice love relationship full of heart and warmth, which everbody should have to be happy.
But I was really dissapointed to find out that the film-adaption doesn´t follow the contents of the novel. What a pity! ( )
  Dixonimous | Aug 20, 2010 |
read in 2009 ( )
  vgwb | Dec 28, 2009 |
For Bob and Ben
My biological mother was seventeen when she had me in 1952, and even that was more than I wanted to know about her.

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now she's ready to be Mother of the Year-and sh'es hurtling straight toward April's quiet little life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671686151, Paperback)

Meet April Epner, the serious, scholarly, adopted daughter of two equally staid parents. They die, but April finds that she's far from orphaned when her birth mother, Bernice Graverman, comes to claim April's heart and improve her wardrobe and love life, too. April is a Latin teacher, given to wearing flannel jumpers. Bernice is hostess of a third-rate daytime talk show and wears designer labels and toad-sized earrings. She descends upon April's quiet life with the tact of a size-six locust, and the delightful and surprising results of this unlikely reunion will keep you turning pages long after bedtime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:39 -0400)

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now that she's got her act together, she's aiming to be a mom like she always knew she could. And she's hurtling straight for April's quiet little life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible