Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman

Then She Found Me (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Elinor Lipman

510None19,807 (3.53)25
Member:lahochstetler
Title:Then She Found Me
Authors:Elinor Lipman
Info:Washington Square Press (1991), Paperback, 307 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman (1990)

Book about a birth mother that finds her adult daughter and the relationship that ensues. ( )
  autumnesf | Feb 25, 2011 |
Enchanting, funny, warm-hearted and full of wisdom

I enjoyed reading this novel. Well, I needed some time to get to know the characters and to get drawn into the story but as soon as this had happened I really enjoyed the well written book. This is not a fairy tale about fantasy people you can classify in white and black. It´s a story about real people, who fall in love, make mistakes and how they cope with that.
Whenever I started to hate Bernice Graves because of her egoistical way of life and about her always wanting to be the centre of everything the story took a little turn so that I coulnd´t think in white and black any longer. Compelling, lovely written and with such a nice love relationship full of heart and warmth, which everbody should have to be happy.
But I was really dissapointed to find out that the film-adaption doesn´t follow the contents of the novel. What a pity! ( )
  Dixonimous | Aug 20, 2010 |
read in 2009 ( )
  vgwb | Dec 28, 2009 |
April Epner, adopted daughter of two Holocaust survivors, never really thought much about her birth mother. When her mother Bernice, local TV celebrity and drama queen extraordinaire, shows up out of nowhere, April's fairly quiet life as a single Latin teacher of 36 will never be the same.

By turns sweet and hilarious, this was a fun story set in Boston. The characters were great: I could sympathize with April's mixed feelings towards Bernice (who was sort of annoying but such a funny, wonderful character, too) while they get to know each other. The narrator, Mia Barron, did a fabulous job interpreting the characters and made the dialogue that much more enjoyable. This was my first time using a Playaway, and while I found the format so-so (the sound was tinny and if I fell asleep without pausing it, I had to start over at the beginning of a chapter), the story itself made up for it. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 10, 2009 |
When I worked at the bookstore, one of my “Staff Recommendations” was Elinor Lipman’s novel Then She Found Me. As far as I know, no one bought the book, which is a shame because it is very good.

It is the story of April Epner, the adopted daughter of two Holocaust survivors whose ordinary life as a high school Latin teacher is interrupted by Bernice Graves, her birth mother. Bernice, who was a teenager when she gave April up for adoption, wants to establish a connection with her daughter but initially seems to lack the finesse and maturity necessary for a real relationship. Between telling April that her birth father is John F. Kennedy and attempting to set April up on blind dates, Bernice’s disruptive presence does not fit into April’s orderly existence. However, the two of them try to forge some sort of understanding.

Although the plot seems simple, Lipman’s handling of it is surprisingly deft. She ably weaves in the complications of being the child of Holocaust survivors without getting mired down in gravitas. Even though the story is from April’s perspective, Lipman is able to evoke sympathy for Bernice, no small feat considering Bernice’s penchant for lying and her sometimes selfish behavior. Finally, while she manages to incorporate a love interest for April, she never forgets that the story is, at its heart, about the relationship between a mother and daughter.

All in all, Then She Found Me is a good read that also invites reflection about relationships in general and parent-child relationships in particular. Despite its Lifetime "movie of the week" vibe, Lipman manages to balance the characters' angst and frustration with wit and humor and prevents the story from veering off into becoming too maudlin or sentimental. ( )
1 vote sweeks1980 | Jan 18, 2009 |
For Bob and Ben
My biological mother was seventeen when she had me in 1952, and even that was more than I wanted to know about her.

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now she's ready to be Mother of the Year-and sh'es hurtling straight toward April's quiet little life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671686151, Paperback)

Meet April Epner, the serious, scholarly, adopted daughter of two equally staid parents. They die, but April finds that she's far from orphaned when her birth mother, Bernice Graverman, comes to claim April's heart and improve her wardrobe and love life, too. April is a Latin teacher, given to wearing flannel jumpers. Bernice is hostess of a third-rate daytime talk show and wears designer labels and toad-sized earrings. She descends upon April's quiet life with the tact of a size-six locust, and the delightful and surprising results of this unlikely reunion will keep you turning pages long after bedtime.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:47 -0400)

April Epner teaches high school Latin, wears flannel jumpers, and is used to having her evenings free. Bernice Graverman brandishes designer labels, favors toad-sized earrings, and hosts her own tacky TV talk show: Bernice G! But behind the glitz and glam, Bernice has followed the life of the daughter she gave up for adoption thirty-six years ago. Now that she's got her act together, she's aiming to be a mom like she always knew she could. And she's hurtling straight for April's quiet little life.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible