Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on…

Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Garr Reynolds

1,3742010,330 (4.06)3
Provides lessons to help users design and deliver creative presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint.
Member:sofronguy
Title:Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery
Authors:Garr Reynolds
Info:New Riders (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 229 pages

Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery by Garr Reynolds (2008)

English (19)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
PowerPoint has always enabled people who are basically thick and dull to look clever.

Of course it’s boring - would you hold up cue cards to an audience and then READ THE SAME CUE CARDS - no? So why does a digital projector and PowerPoint make it a good idea?

But PowerPoint is worse than that - with PowerPoint you can put a buzzword next to a graph - next to a picture and with a swish fade effect and for some bizarre reason that makes the buzzword important.

People say - 'don't read the words on the slide'

Well, why HAVE the bloody slide then?

Does the slide say something MORE IMPORTANT than what you are saying? If it does well.. why aren't you just saying it?

In fact if what you are saying can be said just as well on a slide show, why bother turning up at all? Just press play and go home.

We HAVE a system of text and images that conveys information – it’s called the internet. It way better than PowerPoint and I don't need anyone talking over it while I look at it.

Death to PowerPoint.

Death to seminars.

Death to people who wear those clip microphones.

Bring back good speakers who can keep you interested and answer questions as they go along.

Powerpoint no more makes someone a presenter than having a typewriter makes them a novelist. But many people fail to notice that. I have sat through far too many dull presentations in my time, and succeeded in staying awake during some only by gnawing on my own wrist. ( )
  antao | Sep 17, 2020 |
If you want to learn the skill of creating beautiful and impressive presentations, read this book. It’s full of examples that you can instantly use to make your presentation better. ( )
  remouherek | Feb 24, 2020 |
Indispensabile per chiunque faccia presentazioni per lavoro e non solo. Mi ringrazierai ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Great information, but also a bit puffy. A book about clear presentation design that's less concise than it preaches should be problematic, but I disagree in the case of Presentation Zen because I think it allows a more thorough immersion for the readers who want it.

The real travesty is the sheer number of astonishingly terrible presentations forced upon captive audiences every day (I'm looking at you Corporate World). Anything to combat that is a win by my standards. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Aug 20, 2015 |
Excellent primer on creating presentations that are thoughtful, elegant and sane. While most of the tips are geared towards traditional face to face presentations, I also found some reflections I was able to incorporate in screencast design. ( )
  ajhackwith | Jan 3, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,167,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible