The Battle of the Labyrinth

by Rick Riordan

Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (4), Camp Half-Blood (4), Riordan's Demi-Gods (1.4)

When demonic cheerleaders invade his high school, Percy Jackson hurries to Camp Half Blood, from whence he and his demigod friends set out on a quest through the Labyrinth, while the war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near.
    The Odyssey by Homer (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: More accessible than Homer for younger and/or reluctant readers, plus beautifully illustrated.
    The Iliad by Homer (Jitsusama)

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears at his potential new school, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn. ( )
  rachelprice14 | Nov 14, 2022 |
Book 4 of 5 in the epic series- Percy Jackson and the Olympians! This was one of my favorite books of the bunch! It features my favorite Greek legend as a crucial plot point. https://www.librarything.com/work/173670/reviews/227985709 ( )
  am08279 | Oct 24, 2022 |
The fourth book of the Percy Jackson series has definitely been the best one so far. While it doesn't quite ditch the predictable formula of the first three, there are enough surprises and twists here that keep the story exciting. The plot revolving Kronos is developing steadily, with introductions of new characters, allies and enemies, and new revelations. Again, I enjoyed seeing Riordan's modern take on Greek mythology and how he integrates it into Percy's tale, though not all of it was done well.

I really liked the idea of the labyrinth existing in the shadows of America, but felt that it wasn't used that well. I wanted more details about the labyrinth, but it seemed more like a convenient plot device to transport the characters to where the storyline needed them to be. I also thought the interlude with Calypso was sort of randomly tacked on. I get that Riordan needed Percy to develop in a certain direction as a character, and that required Percy to go through certain experiences, but I think that episode was too short for me to believe that the characters felt the way they did in that situation.

Major aspects of the storyline were also told through flashbacks and dream sequences. I thought it was all a little too convenient for Percy to just learn about all the important stuff through his dreams but I guess they were necessary for us to know what Riordan wanted us to know. Still, the storyline in his book was more enjoyable than the previous books. There was a ton of action with the characters running through the Labyrinth, going from place to place, fighting all sorts of monsters and meeting a variety of characters. I really liked the introduction of Rachel, the mortal girl-- she's a really fun character and I have a feeling she'll be playing a big role in the final book. I also always enjoy any scene with Nico in it, he's a really cute kid even though he tries to be all grown up and serious in his role as the son of Hades.

The impending war and Kronos's return hasn't really felt threatening in the previous books of the series but in The Battle of the Labyrinth, the stakes finally feel like they're being raised very high and the book proves it with some harsh consequences and heart-wrenching developments for the characters. I'm unsure where the plot will go from here as it feels like a lot of new elements were introduced, so it's unclear how Riordan will wrap up the story with only one book to go. I imagine the fifth book will be one exciting, action-packed ride! ( )
  serru | Oct 6, 2022 |
One day I will finish reading this entire series as my children keep expressing such shock and dismay that I have not done so, and also I do tend to enjoy reading them. As of today, I am one book closer.

This was a very solid installment. I thought the pacing was spot-on in this one, I really enjoyed the shifting setting of the Labyrinth, I liked getting to know Nico better, and for some reason all the bits at the ranch really left an impression in particular. An entertaining read. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 25, 2022 |
** spoiler alert **
In lieu of a proper review, I'm just gonna list some of my favorite out-of-context quotes from this book, because let's be real, if you've read the past three books, you already know you're reading this one too.

"If you've never been charged by an enthusiastic Cyclops wearing a flowered apron and rubber cleaning gloves, I'm telling you, it'll wake you up quick."

"Nico had summons the dead with Coke and cheeseburgers."

"One of the bear heads at her waist was now wearing a pair if crooked plastic Alcatraz sunglasses."

"No prophecies for me. I would get overrun in the heart of a volcano by a pack of dog-faced sea-lion people."

It's no secret I love this series, and previously I thought Sea of Monsters was my favorite, but I've decided this one is my favorite. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. ( )
  midnacine | Sep 16, 2022 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who always leads me through the maze.
The last thing I wanted to do on my summer break was blow up another school.
This LT work is the fourth volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth -- a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,145,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible