Driving Force by Dick Francis

Driving Force (1992)

by Dick Francis

1,1951610,487 (3.71)23
Jockey Freddie Croft thought he'd left the perils behind him when he retired from the jump game. These days he was happy to transport horses from their stables to the races. Until one of his drivers picked up an unlicensed passenger. And brought him back dead. The corpse on the doorstep was Freddie's unwelcome introduction to the shadowy, big money conspiracy which muscled into his business and started to threaten his life. But Freddie was a fighter, and winning was in his blood.....… (more)
    When the Sacred Ginmill Closes by Lawrence Block (benfulton)
    benfulton: The two main characters share a certain unemotional doggedness as a response to past pain that I found appealing.

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I mourned him also simply, without self-interest. Grieved for him as a man. In his own way he'd been a whole person, not needing what others might think he lacked. No one should impose their own perception of fulfillment on anyone else. (p.92)
  MicheleBW | Aug 11, 2018 |
In Driving Force by Dick Francis retired jockey Freddie Croft owns a business that transports horses for trainers. The transports travel throughout England and sometimes into other European countries particularly Italy and France. When the employee that performs maintenance on the vans is found dead early one morning in the garage, Freddie thinks the death has the look of murder although he can't imagine anyone having a reason to attack Jogger.

Police and racing investigators are called in and although Croft cooperates fully, he also investigates on his own, making the chilling discovery that someone is attempting to use his vans to transport a virus into England from France that could disable and even kill horses. Driving Force is a bit of a departure from the previous Francis books I've read, more suspense than mystery, but as usual good escape reading. ( )
  clue | Nov 7, 2017 |
Freddie Croft seems to have hit a rather large bump in the road for his horse transport business. When two of his drivers show up with a dead man in their truck it is only the beginning of his trouble.

I enjoyed this Dick Francis story at least as much, and possibly more than any of the others I have read. The mystery was convoluted and had several levels, and the Cockney slang clues kept my little brain churning. Learning about the business of horse transportation and other things which will remain unmentioned so as not to provide spoilers, was interesting. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 26, 2016 |
DF back in his peak form, doing what he does best, writing a thriller loosely set within the racing world of the early 90s. There's nothing new or special about this one, but it's still an enjoyable read. it has all the usual list of Francis characters, a small time hero, formerly connected to the horse racing world, but now in a related business, various rich and friendly (or arrogant) horse owners and trainers, a collection of small menial staff who work hard and live within their limited means, and some influential family acquaintances that can be leaned on to provide whatever technical skills are necessary for the hero to solve his problem without bothering the authorities too much. Never ever forgetting the various pretty women for the hero to keep an eye on.

In this case we have the owner of a fleet of horseboxes, who makes a living shuttling the creatures between venues etc. One of his drivers picks up a hitchhiker (expressly against company policy) who dies of a heart attack in the vehicle. This creates all sorts of problems when it turns out the hitchhiker was in fact a courier for various nefarious purposes, who take objection to the owner poking his nose in.

Well written interesting and not yet too dated - most of his readers will remember the days when computers and mobile phones were just being introduced and had yet to make much impact in society. Clever, keeps the science simple enough, without obvious glaring errors, and hard to guess the actual culprit until the big showdown. ( )
  reading_fox | Jul 11, 2014 |
I read this book before I was ever aware of LibraryThing or quite possible before it was even available. Dick Francis is one of my all time best authors. I find ever book to well be written and you don't want to stop reading until it is finished. The story line is always associated directly or indirectly with horse racing. I would highly recommend Dick Francis' books to anyone who loves a good mystery story. My rating is based on my knowledge of his work and how much I enjoy reading them. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jun 3, 2012 |

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rantanen, AulisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had told the drivers never on any account to pick up a hitchhiker but of course one day they did, and by the time they reached my house he was dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,994,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible