Five Kingdoms: An Illustrated Guide to the…

Five Kingdoms: An Illustrated Guide to the Phyla of Life on Earth

by Lynn Margulis, Karlene V. Schwartz

203286,349 (4.41)1

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
This is the most complete and original biological field guide in history. Lynn Margulis, one of the most brilliant biologists of the 20th century, and her colleague Karlene Schwartz provide a roller-skate tour of the whole world of living things, from the smallest bacteria in the hot springs of Yellowstone to the mightiest oak (humans too, but we are set firmly in our place). In his Foreword, Stephen Jay Gould says "If the originality comes before us partly as a 'picture book,' it should not be downgraded for that reason--for primates are visual animals, and the surest instruction in a myriad of unknown creatures must be a set of figures with concise instruction about their meaning--all done so admirably in this volume." --Mary Ellen Curtin--This text refers to the Paperback edition.

From Library Journal
With diagrams, drawings, and photographs, this classic guide to the scientific classification of organisms into phylum can be used as a quick reference for systematics or as a source of information on evolutionary trends and organismal relationships. An appendix offers a listing of phyla and genera, with vernacular names when possible. For biology students at any level.
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. ( )
  MareMagnum | Sep 30, 2005 |
It's refreshing to see a raccoon where we're usually perched.
  kencf0618 | Sep 27, 2005 |

Lynn Margulisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schwartz, Karlene V.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0716730278, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:47 -0400)

An all-inclusive catalogue of the world's living diversity, Five Kingdoms defines and describes the major divisions, or phyla, of nature's five great kingdoms - bacteria, protoctists, animals, fungi, and plants - using a modern classification scheme that is consistent with both the fossil record and molecular data. Generously illustrated and remarkably easy to follow, it not only allows readers to sample the full range of life forms inhabiting our planet but to familiarize themselves with the taxonomic theories by which all organisms' origins and distinctive characteristics are traced and classified.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,836,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible