Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeline (original 1939; edition 2000)

by Ludwig Bemelmans (Author)

Series: Madeline (1)

Madeline, smallest and naughtiest of the twelve little charges of Miss Clavel, wakes up one night with an attack of appendicitis.
Member:Stonek
Title:Madeline
Authors:Ludwig Bemelmans (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2000), Edition: Reprint, 64 pages

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans (1939)

The book is about Madeline, one of the 12 girls who live with Miss Clavel. She wakes up crying one night to a problem with her appendix, so they take her to the hospital, the story follows the other 11 girls during Madeline's recovery period.
  Remi.Kauffman | Sep 29, 2019 |
I loved the illustrations in this book. The story follows 12 little girls in Paris in a special school who do everything together, which I thought was cute.
  Nicole.Hayden | Sep 19, 2019 |
I loved this book when I was growing up. I love what even though they were in a foster home. They treated each other as a family, I so liked they were taking care of by nuns. Since I am Catholic I could connect this the nuns.
  Galiana.Carranza | Sep 19, 2019 |
I enjoy this book a lot, I think it demonstrates a good caring community. ( )
  Heather.s.mccormick | Sep 18, 2019 |
This classic book is about a little girl living in Paris. She and her classmates do everything the same and everything together. But when Madeline has an emergency and needs to get her appendix out, the other girls want to be "special" like Madeline. This would be a good book to read to a child who is about to have some sort of surgery or would be good to begin teaching a geography lesson on France. This book includes the names of the landmarks in Paris where the illustrations take place. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Aug 2, 2019 |
In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.

Bemelmans' rhythmic rhymes make this book a great one for a readaloud with preschoolers or primary-age children. The story is suspenseful enough to be interesting, but not too scary; the illustrations (mainly in tones of yellow) not only support the story, but also offer a view of Paris. A list at the end of the book identifies the Paris locations that are illustrated.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,762,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible