Reflex by Dick Francis

Reflex (original 1981; edition 1982)

by Dick Francis

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:Reflex
Authors:Dick Francis
Info:Amsterdam : Arbeiderspers; 330 p, 20 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=821955063
Rating:*****

Reflex by Dick Francis (1981)

English (22)  Danish (2)  French (1)  All languages (25)
cheating in horce-racing discovered by sharp man who does not need too much sleep ( )
  kashcit | Feb 27, 2018 |
Dick Francis is always a good read. The mystery is good and I always feel I learn a little more about what it is like to be a jockey. This book had an interesting twist in that photography was a main theme throughout the mystery. I followed the mystery, discovering the evidence as the hero did. This was a thoroughly satisfying mystery.

Who would enjoy it? People who like racing or horses and mysteries. People who like photography and mysteries. If you like all three as I do, then you should love it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 5, 2018 |
Another winner by Dick Francis. This time Philip, our everyman hero, is an amateur jockey and amateur photographer. I'm giving the edge to his photography, because hey, you can't be a jockey forever. That job has a shelf life.

We've got revenge, blackmail, murder, romance, and horses, all things you expect from Francis. But he also wrote family complexities very well. This one has the added drama of a drug-addled mother who abandoned Philip and flitted from place to place. He's estranged from his grandmother and I found this side plot as interesting as the main one.

You can't go wrong with Dick Francis. 3 solid stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
A typical Dick Francis book. There is the same type of format but these are always a fun read. Steeplechase, murder, mayhem and mystery. Who could want more. ( )
  patcat444 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Reflex by Dick Francis
3.5 stars.

This a standalone book by Dick Francis which was written in 1980, but truth be told you wouldn't know this from the book.

Philip Nore is a steeplechase jockey and amateur photographer who becomes involved in two mysteries. First, the father of a friend of his, who is a ruthless racecourse photographer, dies in a car accident, but Philip thinks it was murder. Even more so when strange things keep happening at the home of the photographer. As he investigates he quickly becomes embroiled in intrigue, murder and blackmail but who is behind this. At the same time he is called to the sickbed of his grandmother who seems to detest him for some reason and he has never seen her before. She is dying and asks him to find a step-sister that he didn't even know existed and with no clue as to where she can be.

For me this seemed to take a slow start, but did pick up pace in the second half of the book. Don't worry if you are not into horse racing this is still a good mystery book and you don't have to be into horse racing (I personally hate horse racing), this is just the backdrop for the story. There are plenty of twists and turns in the book and some unexpected outcomes. In this book are some of the most surprising ways of hiding letters and messages that come to light after the photographer dies - very unique in my reading experiences.

Overall I would say I enjoyed this book, quickly grew to like Philip and wanted things to come out well for him. I couldn't put the book down during the last 140 pages as I had to see how it turned out. It's a shame Dick didn't write more about this character. If you haven't read a Dick Francis book yet I would encourage you to do so. They're quick and enjoyable reads, and not particularly gritty. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
One hesitates to criticize a Francis novel, but Reflex displays in a less extreme form a defect of its predecessor Whip Hand, in which three themes proved in the end to have nothing to do with each other. Francis usually observes Chekhov’s dictum that if there is a pistol hanging on the wall, sooner or later someone in the story must fire it, but in fact the sister search is irrelevant to the photography problem, and when she is found in unhappy circumstances the hero does nothing to rescue her. Although this outcome is supposed to change Philip Nore’s attitude to life (‘I had roots’) his final resolution (one can’t give the game away) is not altogether convincing.
added by SnootyBaronet | editTimes Literary Supplement, Philip Larkin

''Reflex'' contains more interesting characterizations than most of Mr. Francis's books, particularly in Philip's poignant recollections of his shadowy butterfly mother, who used her charm to dump her small boy on one friend after another over the years. But there are limits to Mr. Francis's talent. His heroines are present simply to fill a few pages and sometimes to share a bed, and the characters who lie outside the racing world he knows so well are often drawn perfunctorily. Mr. Francis might reply that a writer of his kind of thriller cannot afford psychological intricacies, and very likely he would be right. In the end, action is the name of the Dick Francis game. In writing scenes of action, not all of them violent, and blending them into a mystery adventure, he is now a long way ahead of the rest of the field.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew York Times, Julian Symons

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Knol Ottenhof, C.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raivio, JyriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winded and coughing, I lay on one elbow and spat out a mouthful of grass and mud.
His talent had been stupendous. Seeing his pictures there together, one after the other, and not scattered in books and newspapers and magazines across a canvas of years, I was struck continually by the speed of his vision. He had caught life over and over and over again at the moment when a painter would have composed it: nothing left out, nothing disruptive let in. An absolute master.
I was rather deeply aware that I was never going to see the world in quite the same way again: that George’s piercing view of things would intrude when I least expected it and nudge me in the ribs. But George had had no compassion. The pictures were brilliant. Objective, exciting, imaginative and revealing; but none of them kind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425206955, Mass Market Paperback)

Longtime jockey Philip Nore suspects that a racetrack photographer's fatal accident was really murder--and unravels some nasty secrets of corruption, blackmail, and murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:07 -0400)

Jockey Phillip Nore must discover the reasons behind the murder of a famed racetrack photographer as he delves into a world of betrayal, blackmail, and bribery before he becomes the next victim.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,597,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible