The right madness by James Crumley

The right madness (original 2005; edition 2005)

by James Crumley

"An ex-army officer turned Montana private eye, C.W. Sughrue carries a lot of scars. He wants nothing more than to lie low and try to block out the memories of his last case, the one that left a bullet wound in his gut and his marriage a wreck. The last thing he wants to do is take on any business from his best friend, Dr. Will MacKinderick, a wealthy psychiatrist in their small town and probably the only person Sughrue still has faith in." "But Mac is desperate. Convinced that one of seven patients is behind the theft of confidential psychoanalysis files from his office, he needs someone he can trust to trail this group of bizarre small-town misfits. Going against every last instinct, Sughrue takes the job - a twenty-thousand-dollar retainer is always hard to pass up - and things instantly spiral out of control as one by one the bodies start to pile up." "Fueled by a steady stream of alcohol, drugs, and empty sex, Sughrue becomes a man obsessed, trying to stay one step ahead of the madness unfolding around him, but falling deeper and deeper into a case that will dig up parts of the past he'd like to forget and push any chance at a normal future even further out of reach."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Member:ruckusjuice
Title:The right madness
Authors:James Crumley
Info:New York: Viking, 2005. 289 p. ; 23 cm.

The Right Madness by James Crumley (2005)

This very enjoyable crime/P.I. novel follows a very complicated case in which a psychoanalyst's files go missing -- and then his patients start dying. Our hero, CW Sughrue, is the man trying to solve the case. Lots of action, lots of characters, and a web of intrigue that will keep you going until the very end. Violence and mayhem here also, so be forewarned. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jan 1, 2015 |
The Right Madness. James Crumley. 2005. I think Crumley died a year or so ago. I’ve seen his novel, The Last Good Kiss, on a lot of “best crime novels” lists so when I found this at the book store in Topeka last summer I had to get it. His character C.W. Sughrue is, well, quite a character! The Vietnam vet is as hardboiled as they come and has a ton of emotional and physical wounds; he claimed he retired, but when his best friend a psychiatrist begs Sughrue to find out who stole his confidential patient records, Sughrue feels he must help, and aided by cigarettes and drugs he quickly becomes involves in murders, drugs and sex. Anyone who likes hardboiled mysteries will enjoy this plot-twisting fast-passed novel. ( )
  judithrs | Feb 11, 2013 |
Crumley strikes again. One of his last books before his untimely death (his body simply worn out by a lifetime of hard living) but he's still got the ol' fastball.

C.W. Sughrue breaks one of his golden rules and takes on a case for an old friend, with tragic results all around. Crumley's shamuses don't tie up all the loose ends and they're sadder and wiser when they complete a case. Some mystery fans may find the sex and drugs and violence too tough for their liking but if you're not reading Crumley, you're missing out on one of the few writers in the field who could out-Chandler Chandler (and that's saying something). ( )
  CliffBurns | Apr 14, 2009 |
Picked this up from the bargain bin. Good gumshoe writing, but with a very gritty edge to it. Not for the faint-of-heart. A little more difficult to follow after the first half, and when I finished the book, I wasn't entirely sure that the "mystery" had been solved. Probably will read it again just to find what I probably missed the first read. ( )
  fowlerjk | Sep 7, 2008 |
It was a lovely, calm Montana summer evening, a Saturday night after a long weekend of softball.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,602,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible