The Doonesbury Chronicles by G. B. Trudeau

The Doonesbury Chronicles (1975)

by G. B. Trudeau

Other authors: Garry Willis (Introduction)

Series: Doonesbury (Anthology 1970-75)

I loved the Doonesbury cartoons when they first came out. They were the ultimate expression of the people who grew up in the 60's -- at least those who grew up and rebelled against the way things were done.

This book has suffered some water damage but I don't think it harms the cartoons any. Lots of good chuckles here and, even if you don't remember the 60's, you'll enjoy it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 24, 2017 |
dinning room 7
  JABorn | Jul 6, 2012 |
An enjoyable read but with no references, some of the comics are outdated and hard to understand as one doesn't have a clue as to who is being referenced.

edit: Having now referenced a couple of the shorter volumes that collection covers, I know now that some of the comics were left out. That bothers me as it's not a complete collection. (Minus a half star for that.) ( )
1 vote theapparatus | Jul 14, 2011 |
Contains my favorite Doonesbury strip ever. Mike & Zonk talking at a party. Zonker asks if Mike remembers "that New Frontier stuff"; Mike launches into Kennedy's inaugural speech, they both laugh. Then they stop. Z: "God, what's happened to us?" M: "I dunno, man, I dunno."

Exactly.

This review has also been posted on a dabbler's journal. ( )
  joeldinda | Mar 8, 2008 |
This is a treasury collection of the unique "Doonesbury" strip, with dailies and Sunday pages (the first Doonesbury collection to include those) from 1970 to 1975. "Doonesbury" is one of the most political popular daily strips, and is so wrapped in contemporary culture that it serves as a microcosm of the times. For over thirty years, Trudeau has created an incredibly complex and interwoven cast of eccentrics, who are so human and clearly drawn it is impossible not to care even for the most venial of them. This book is a nice collection of the first five years or so; I value it mainly for the Sunday strips which are printed nowhere else. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 24, 2007 |

G. B. Trudeauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willis, GarryIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
You could be laughing at me,
You've got the right.
But you go on smiling...
- Jackson Browne

No one can feel the pulse of the world like Garry Trudeau, whose satrical look at the 1960's and early 1970s is a real delight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,844,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible