The Doonesbury Chronicles (1975)

by G. B. Trudeau

Other authors: Garry Willis (Introduction)

Series: Doonesbury (Anthology 1970-75)

No one can feel the pulse of the world like Garry Trudeau, whose satrical look at the 1960's and early 1970s is a real delight.

I've had this one on the shelf for a long, long time, but I haven't read it in a while. It's a collection of some of the strips from the first six years of the comic strip Doonesbury--1970 to 1975. It's been so long, it's kind of like I'm reading it for the first time. The first thing that struck me was echoes of Charles Schulz in the strips. If the early For Better or For Worse was Charlie Brown as an adult, these early Doonesbury strips could be Charlie Brown goes to college. But as I read further, my attention focused less on the art & the gags and more on the historical context. My knowledge of America in the 1960s and 70s has increased and I'm better equipped to appreciate the satire on changing mores, the Vietnam War, and the Nixon era than I was in my younger days. I came for the jokes but I think I'll keep it for the history.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | May 21, 2022 |
A collection of all the books from day one and includes a lot of books I don't have like: I Have No Son; Call Me When You Find America; Guilty Guilty Guilty; What Do We Have For The Witnesses;
Dare To Be Great Ms Caucus; Wouldn't A Gremlin Have Been More Sensible etc. Seen in chronological order starting with the Nixon administration and the Vietnam war and what becomes very apparent is....history repeats itself. How very depressing. Also, portents of things to come...players and repercussions and signs of things to come in the future are all here. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
I loved the Doonesbury cartoons when they first came out. They were the ultimate expression of the people who grew up in the 60's -- at least those who grew up and rebelled against the way things were done.

This book has suffered some water damage but I don't think it harms the cartoons any. Lots of good chuckles here and, even if you don't remember the 60's, you'll enjoy it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 24, 2017 |
dinning room 7
  JABorn | Jul 6, 2012 |

G. B. Trudeauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willis, GarryIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Doonesbury (Anthology 1970-75)
You could be laughing at me,
You've got the right.
But you go on smiling...
- Jackson Browne

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,940,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible