Still Alice (2007)

by Lisa Genova

Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease.… (more)

English (405)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (419)
This book would easily make it into one of the best disease books I have ever read.The writer really makes you feel how Alice does,you can feel her agitation, her stress ,her happiness and even her disease.At the end of this book I even felt unusually forgetful,excusing it as alzheimer's then proceeding to realise that I didn't really have it.Goes to show how engrossing the book was!
Definitely won't seem dementia the same way ever again. ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |
I knew this book would tear my heart out when I started it. I was sucked right into it and at 69% on my Kindle version I was openly sobbing. I can't remember the last time a book has affected me like this. Truly eye opening. ( )
  s_bondy | Aug 12, 2021 |
  s_bondy | Aug 12, 2021 |
1 ( )
  ejmw | Aug 4, 2021 |
This book has many elements to it that would normally cause me to give it fewer stars, as far as writing style and other basics of good writing, but the subject matter itself transcends all of those issues. Having loved a mother in law and father in law who were robbed of life from this horrifying disease, it was particularly meaningful to me. ( )
  lonetree1972 | Jun 1, 2021 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
The well-being if a neuron depends on its ability to communicate with other neurons. Studies have shown that electrical and chemical stimulation from both a neuron's inputs and its targets support vital cellular processes. Neurons unable to connect effectively with other neurons atrophy. Useless, an abandoned neuron will die.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
The beginning of spring in Cambridge was an untrustworthy and ugly liar.
Do not combine the movie with the book

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,344,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible