Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice (2007)

by Lisa Genova

Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unlike the psychologically suspenseful mystery Turn of Mind, Still Alice is mainstream fiction. Despite differences in plot, genre, and feel, both sensitively portray the disorientation and disintegrating memory of Alzheimer's patients.… (more)
    Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt (TransatlanticAgency)
    25 Months: A Memoir by Linda McK. Stewart (meggyweg)
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale (LynnB)
    Still Time: A Novel by Jean Hegland (KayCliff)
    Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey (Deelightful)
    Lost: A Novel by Alice Lichtenstein (dara85)
    When It Gets Dark: An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio (Mareofthesea)
    The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books deal with Alzheimer's Disease in a compassionate way.
    The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic by David Shenk (kathrynnd)
    Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return by Mary Ellen Geist (Mareofthesea)
    Kalila by Rosemary Nixon (ShelfMonkey)
    The Marriage Plot: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these books offer poignant descriptions of being within a mind-altering disease.

English (356)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (371)
I kept thinking, as I was reading, "Is this me? Is this happening to me?" I felt like so many of the things happening in the story were things that had happened to me, or they were things I could easily imagine happening to me. Riveting story--I think it really gave a realistic view of someone (patient and caregiver) going through Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease. ( )
  trayceetee | Apr 9, 2018 |
Frighteningly real aspect of how memory works...or does not. As a young women is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's everyday activites become more precious. As time passes, objectivity is lost and assistance is needed from others more & more. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Still Alice is a great book. I've heard Alzheimer's disease described before and had a grandmother who suffered from dementia in her 90's, but sometimes there's nothing quite like a novel to help me understand what something is like. Its the beauty of books and the concept of "living a thousand lives", right?

The story is told from the third person perspective but focuses on Alice herself, rarely diverting from her dilemmas. I thought the choice of making her a Harvard professor helped to show that there is no amount of intelligence or education that can make you resistant to diseases such as this.

The responses of her family were probably best case scenario, though. They weren't perfect, but I'd call them pretty damn close to it, down to the lovely birthday presents they gave her and their willingness to help. The only one that got on my nerves was her husband occasionally, but I get his concern and why his reaction is different than that of their children. I adored the children.

The plot progresses with the disease and the many steps that one with dementia will go through. It starts with signs and we get to be with Alice through diagnosis and telling those in her life at her pace what's going on. We get to experience all the little ways she deals with forgetting things and into the days that make Alzheimer's sufferers look and sound crazy to those not in their minds. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
This book was told from the patients perspective. Throughout the story you feel and experience the frustration and the heartache of losing the word of an item that you are holding in yourhand or the face of one of your children. The author did plenty of research and while this book is fiction it seems to be what some Alzheimer's patients experience. They KNOW when they have forgotten, they KNOW when they can't find there way down their own hallway. The minnd just won't let retreive the much desired information.

I am definitely going to look at Alzheimer's sufferer's in a different way, now.
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I enjoyed listening to this on audio. I felt so bad for Alice. :( ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
Do not combine the movie with the book

"Powerful, insightful, tragic, inspirational…and all too true." Alireza Atri, Massachusetts General Hospital Neurologist

“Readers…are artfully and realistically led through…a window into what to expect, highlighting the importance of allowing the person with the disease to remain a vibrant and contributing member of the community…" Peter Reed, PhD, Director of Programs, National Alzheimer's Association

“With grace and compassion, Lisa Genova writes about the enormous white emptiness created by Alzheimer’s in the mind of the still-too-young and active Alice. A kind of ominous suspense attends her gathering forgetfulness, and Genova puts us, sympathetically, right inside her plight. Somehow, too, she portrays the family’s response as a loving one, and hints at the other hopeful, helpful response that science will eventually provide.” Mopsy Kennedy, Improper Bostonian

"An intensely intimate portrait of Alzheimer's seasoned with highly accurate and useful information about this insidious and devastating disease." Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi, co-author, Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

“Her (Alice's) thought patterns are so eerily like my own...amazing. It was like being in my own head and like being in hers.” James Smith, diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, age 45

“...something for the world to read.” Jeanne Lee, author of Just Love Me: My Life Turned Upside-Down By Alzheimer’s

“A laser-precise light into the lives of people with dementia and the people who love them.” Carole Mulliken, Co-Founder of DementiaUSA

"A work of pure genius. This is the book that I and many of my colleagues have anxiously awaited. The reader will journey down Dementia Road in a way that only those of us with Dementia have experienced. Until now." Charley Schneider, author of Don't Bury Me, It Ain't Over Yet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Feeling at the top of her game when she is suddenly diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease, Harvard psychologist Alice Howland struggles to find meaning and purpose in her life as her concept of self gradually slips away.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,579,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible