Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and…

by John Medina

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain rule--what scientists know for sure about how our brains work--and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.… (more)
Member:dolphus.pereira
Title:Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
Authors:John Medina
Info:Pear Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 301 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Personal Development

Work Information

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina

English (40)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (43)
John Medina has done a good job at making concepts about the brain easy to understand. I definitely would recommend this book as a summary of 12 Principles of the brain. At the end of each chapter John summarized four or five points about the subject matter of that chapter. A nice summary. Don't look for any earth shattering explorations but a very readable book with interesting stories about the brain. I would also point out that this is a good book for all ages from teen-ages to seniors.

Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
Good highly readable reference to the latest in brain research. Well worth the read, even you won't remember all 12 principles later. (And there is probably a principle in the book that would explain why.) ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Very easy and entertaining read. Shares information that helps you hack your life. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |
12 principles for
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Most of us have no idea what??s really going on inside our heads. Yet brain scientists have uncovered details every business leader, parent, and teacher should knowƒ??like the need for physical activity to get your brain working its best.

How do we learn? What exactly do sleep and stress do to our brains? Why is multi-tasking a myth? Why is it so easy to forgetƒ??and so important to repeat new knowledge? Is it true that men and women have different brains?

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain ruleƒ??what scientists know for sure about how our brains workƒ??and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.

Medinaƒ??s fascinating stories and infectious sense of humor breathe life into brain science. Youƒ??ll learn why Michael Jordan was no good at baseball. Youƒ??ll peer over a surgeonƒ??s shoulder as he proves that most of us have a Jennifer Aniston neuron. Youƒ??ll meet a boy who has an amazing memory for music but canƒ??t tie his own shoes.

You will discover how:

Every brain is wired differently
Exercise improves cognition
We are designed to never stop learning and exploring
Memories are volatile
Sleep is powerfully linked with the ability to learn
Vision trumps all of the other senses
Stress changes the way we learn
In the end, youƒ??ll understand how your brain really worksƒ??and how to get the most out of it. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
Medina's approach to the subject combines the best aspects of Oliver Sacks and Getting Things Done, making the book into something that's part manifesto and part education.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 17, 2008)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,480,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible