Speak Softly, She Can Hear by Pam Lewis

Speak Softly, She Can Hear (2005)

by Pam Lewis

The Fever by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sex, lies, and secrets among teenage girls ruin friendships while exposing the emotional and psychological fault lines that lie beneath the surface of their social circles in these atmospheric suspense stories.

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Speak Softly, She Can Hear is one of those novels that is an unexpected surprise. I have a fondness for novels about girlfriends and sisters. When I purchased this novel last year, I was intrigued by the tale of two friends, a pact to lose their virginity and a handsome and fatally charming stranger. What I received was a story of one woman's resiliency.

Carole was the average girl. She felt she wasn't anything special, plain, slightly overweight, normal when she would rather be anything but. Actually, that's not entirely true. One of Carole's characteristics I really like was she was confident in herself yet that confidence didn't communicate with her classmates. Sadly, I think she was the odd girl in class. Nothing really wrong with her, yet the perfect target for bullies and snobby girls. I think her desire to be perfect was her biggest downfall. With each page, I felt more compassion for Carole. She was thrown into a situation by the one person she felt was her friend yet Naomi was just a troubled young girl.

I was extremely impressed with Ms. Lewis. This story was a relatively simple. One girl, one villain, one secret. It was intriguing, a page turner. I turned every single page because I needed to know how Carole would escape under the weight of guilt felt over Rita's death and under Eddie's thumb. She was a survivor, a fighter. A runner but she did what she had to for self preservation.

What drives me crazy about novels like this is that if only Carole has told the truth, none of this would happen. Then again, their wouldn't be a novel if she had. What I'm getting at is people are so afraid of the truth. In reality it is the lies and deception that harm us.

This novel is a must read. As a debut for Ms. Lewis, it is stellar. I'm looking forward to what else she brings us. ( )
  ForSix | Dec 7, 2011 |
Interesting, character driven story involving a fat, unhappy teenage girl whose first sexual experience turns into a humiliating tragedy. She gets involved with bad people, but succeeds in getting away from them, losing weight, and getting on with her life. Still, guarding her secret affects her whole life. ( )
  kateiyzie | Apr 25, 2011 |
I was in the mood for some lighter reading, so picked up this book which has been on the main display table of a bookstore I go to once a month or so for more than a year -- it sounded intriguing. But I have to say that,although it was badly written, somewhat predictable, and annoying in that some of the details of the 60s/70s time frame seemed to date from later years, it was a page turner in that I wanted to find out how the protagonist eventually got rid of her tormenters.
  rebeccanyc | Apr 15, 2010 |
A tall chubby girl and a petite bird-framed girl are fast friends at an exclusive prep school in Manhattan. During their senior year, in 1965, they decide they just "must" lose their virginity before going off to college in the fall. One would think that they could have chosen wiser than the 26 year-old unemployed cad who vacations with them in Stowe, Vermont, to facilitate this deflowering. That this sketchy plan goes horribly awry, completely wrecking the lives of the chubby girl and her family, should come as no surprise.

This should make a great movie. ( )
  kivarson | May 7, 2009 |
I thought this book was ok. I was got it at the library but would not recommend it to anyone. It was kind of weird that the seemingly bright main caractrer did not figure out that she was being blackmailed for a crime she didn''t commit. ( )
  janismack | Mar 18, 2009 |
Een ondraaglijk geheim drijft haar tot het uiterste...
De witte vingers van de geest op uw schouders gelegd...

- Oscar Wilde
Voor mijn zonen
It was pitch-black.

New York City, 1965: Two Manhattan prep school students, Carole and Naomi, make a pact to lose their virginity before graduation. Eddie, a slick Upper East Side dropout, is handsome, fatally charming, and more than willing to help the girls accomplish their goal. But on one bitterly cold holiday weekend in an isolated cabin deep in the Vermont woods, a horrifying twist develops in the plan. Before the night is over, a stomach-turning secret is sealed between friends, setting in motion a series of events that will have dire and far-reaching consequences.

Sweeping across decades, moving from New York to Vermont to California and back again, Lewis tells an utterly gripping, psychologically nuanced tale of friendship between two very different women, of the life-changing burden of a secret, the lies we tell others to save ourselves, and the lies we tell ourselves when the truth is too painful to accept.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

"New York City, 1965: At Spence, the exclusive Manhattan girls' school, shy, overweight scholarship student Carole finds herself drawn into an unlikely friendship with charismatic, pedigreed Naomi. On a dare, Carole and Naomi make a pact to lose their virginity before graduation. Enter Eddie, a slick Upper East Side prep school dropout, expelled from a half-dozen private schools on the East Coast. Eddie is handsome, fatally charming, and more than willing to help the girls accomplish their goal. But something about him is not quite right - his overly familiar way with Naomi, his hair-trigger temper, the stories that just don't add up - and on one bitterly cold holiday weekend in an isolated cabin deep in the Vermont woods, a horrifying twist develops in the girls' plan. Before the night is over, a stomach-turning secret is sealed between friends, setting in motion a series of events that will have dire and far-reaching consequences."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Pam Lewis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,100,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible