Shooting the Moon (2008)

by Frances O'Roark Dowell

When her brother is sent to fight in Vietnam, twelve-year-old Jamie begins to reconsider the army world that she has grown up in.

Is the story of two army brats who were raised to glorify military action by their Colonel father. The older enlists and is deployed to Vietnam and sends photographic film rolls to his younger sister, who learns the art of film processing and printing. It's a beautiful story arc.

There were a couple of jarring references that seemed anachronistic, so I called my sister and invited her to travel with me in the Wayback Machine to the early 70s.

The pre-teen Jaimee wore blue jeans and carried a backpack and wore 'sneakers' and put a seat belt on automatically when getting into a car. From our recollections, blue jeans and backpacks were still considered counter-cultural, though it's possible she would have been permitted to wear 'dungarees,' but not to school. 'Tennies' would have been casual shoe wear, but also not at school. A one-strap bookbag would have been normal. Knapsacks and military surplus backpacks would have been hippie gear.

These were minor glitches though. It was a very thoughtful story and I'll probably look for more by the author.
  2wonderY | Feb 4, 2020 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 18, 2017 |
From Eburg public on disc
  gregorysmith | May 19, 2017 |
Captivating from the start. I loved Jamie Dexter's character, so whip-smart and sassy. For a Vietnam War story, it never veers to sentimental or sad, and for this it works. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Classic O'Roark Dowelll writing. She perfectly captures the Vietnam era and voice of a young teen whose brother has just been shipped off to Vietnam. The daughter of an army colonel, she laments the fact that she won't have the opportunity to serve her country and make her father proud. Over the course of the story she begins to analyze her feelings about war as she views the camera film her brother sends her and tries to understand why her father, the stalwart colonel, resisted her brother's desire to go to Vietnam. Written in the down home conversational tone typical of O'Roark Dowell. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
For my father, Brigadier General Dulaney L. O'Roark Jr., United States Army, Retired.

And for my mother, Jane Fowley O'Roark, who also deserves a star.
The day after my brother left for Vietnam, me and Private Hollister played thirty-seven hands of gin rummy, and I won twenty-one.

When twelve-year-old Jamie Dexter's brother joins the Army and is sent to Vietnam, Jamie is plum thrilled. She can't wait to get letters from the front lines describing the excitement of real-life combat: the sound of helicopters, the smell of gunpowder, the exhilaration of being right in the thick of it. After all, they've both dreamed of following in the footsteps of their father, the Colonel..............

But TJ's first letter isn't a letter at all. It's a roll of undeveloped film, the first of many. What Jamie sees when she develops TJ's photographs reveals a whole new side of the war. Slowly the shine begins to fade off of Army life - and the Colonel. How can someone she's worshiped her entire life be just as helpless to save her brother as she is?

From the author of the Edgar Award-winning Dovey Coe comes a novel, both timely and timeless, about the sacrifices we make for what we believe and the people we love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,347,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible