Surprised by Hope (2007)

by N. T. Wright

Offers a reinterpretation of biblical teaching on what happens after death, arguing that literal bodily resurrection is at the heart of Christianity and exploring the implications of this for the church's work in the world.
Recently added bytedcoleman, HKunnen, private library, meghansfisher, salamanderling, Ang203l

Challenging read as NT Wright is brilliant man, but not succinct. If you as the reader make it to the end chapter 15 ties it all together by focusing on the fact that Christ aligned heave with earth. This is a refreshing way to view Christianity. ( )
  MarkKonyndyk | Jan 1, 2022 |
Seldom have a read a Christian book on theology that has affected me like this one. So many questions I had were answered in ways that I could understand. It left me with many things to think about. i like that all Wright says is backed up with scripture. I look forward to learning more from this New Testament scholar and authority. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Oct 22, 2021 |
Readable and accessible entry point to Wright's theology, which is also his biblical scholarship. I can only imagine what it would be like to read this if you were fully committed to 'traditional' Christian doctrines about heaven and so on; probably a bit like it would have been like to read Melanchthon a few centuries ago (not Luther, because Wright is mild mannered; and not Calvin, because I quite like Wright). For someone who finds much of that tradition questionable (its individualism; its Platonism; its odd way of claiming to be biblical but ignoring most of the bible), reading Wright is enjoyable enough. As ever, he's far too long-winded here, and much of what he says probably makes more sense if you've read the larger, more scholarly works. But he tells a story about Christianity that is far more livable than many others. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |
I read this overall several weeks in 2017. Wright has Scrioural insights that make sense which had never before occurred to me. Read it. And be warned. It might challenge some of your pre-lunch suppositions. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
Read this with my church reading group last spring. There are a few rough spots in this text where Wright doesn't connect the dots as thoroughly or clearly as he could have, but nevertheless he is still a brilliant scholar and communicator. ( )
  histprof | Oct 17, 2018 |
Surprised by Hope will be one of Wright’s most widely-read books. Though readers should proceed with caution regarding some of Wright’s proposals, the wheat in this book far outweighs the chaff.
added by hf22 | editThe Gospel Coalition, Trevin Wax (Apr 25, 2013)

N. T. Wright is one of the most talented writers among New Testament scholars today. In this book he presents his understanding of what the Scriptures teach about heaven, the resurrection, and the church's mission.

What are we waiting for?
Five snapshots set the scene for the two questions which this book addresses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,029,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible