Live and Let Die (James Bond) by Ian Fleming

Live and Let Die (James Bond) (original 1954; edition 2012)

by Ian Fleming

2,520603,471 (3.46)92
Member:pujaguha
Title:Live and Let Die (James Bond)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2012), Paperback, 239 pages

Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming (1954)

Recently added bychaos-poppy, rendages, thindor, wirehead, RichardYoung.633, private library, alo1224, Kraznor, White.blake5
Legacy LibrariesIan Fleming

English (56)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (60)
There's much to be said for actually reading the Bond books in order.

[b: Live and Let Die|3763|Live and Let Die (James Bond #2)|Ian Fleming|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327953982s/3763.jpg|171188] picks up where [b: Casino Royale|5824|Casino Royale |Anthony Hern|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348841258s/5824.jpg|21967797] left off rather nicely. Here we have Bond face off against a crime overlord whose reach stretches from Harlem to Jamaica. Controlling his subjects through a mix of terror and - for the time - surprisingly well researched Voodoo legends Mr. Big is a pretty damn terrifying villain. The descriptions of him just get better as the book goes on.

So, before we had KGB spies and high stakes gambling. Now we have lost pirate treasure, voodoo, and a well established crime syndicate. Oh how the times change. Also, a fight with an octopus. Yeah.

[b: Live and Let Die|3763|Live and Let Die (James Bond #2)|Ian Fleming|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327953982s/3763.jpg|171188] was slightly less compelling than [b: Casino Royale|5824|Casino Royale |Anthony Hern|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348841258s/5824.jpg|21967797] but still a very fun book. I think where the book suffered for me was the lack of a more introspective Bond. I wanted him to suffer more for what he went through in the previous installment, but that just wasn't there. There was the brief drama with Felix, which was good, but I just didn't feel there was quite enough character considering the mad amount of action that took place.

Still. Thoroughly enjoyed the book. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
My name is Bond...

Un'altra conferma. Lettura più che piacevole, diavolerie tecnologiche ridotte allo stretto necessario. Più di tutto, l'umano che c'è in tutti, Bond compreso. La paura di morire, la sofferenza, l'amore, l'amicizia. Ancora una volta l'agente segreto vero, non la trasfigurazione cinematografica dell'eroe sprezzante del pericolo. Un viaggio interculturale, la Giamaica, i riti voodoo, la bellezza della natura con il suo fascino e la sua necessaria durezza. Avvertimento per gli appassionati: l'Adelphi sta ristampando i romanzi di Fleming dallo scorso anno. Un'occasione unica per (ri)scoprire il vero 007!
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
I'm torn on how to rate this book; the first half was pretty weak and I was thinking that this would be my least favorite Bond book so far (out of a handful of others that I've read). However, the second half of the book - after Bond leaves New York - is excellent and on par with Fleming's other novels.

I think the biggest overall complaint I have for this book is the racial tones that are rampant throughout. The main villain is black and all of his henchmen are black, and Fleiming doesn't let you forget it for a second. At the time the book was written, Fleming's narration may or may not have been offensive (I have a hard time imagining it not being at least a little offensive), but in today's world the 'negro' this and 'negro' that was quite jarring.

The racial tones were distracting and seemed to date this novel more than the others I've read so far, which is unfortunate because the overall plot line of the book is fun and exciting. ( )
1 vote yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Very much of its time, and the racial stereotyping can grate, but its nice to see Bond as he was meant to be: a cynical, mean, cold blooded killer! ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Looking past the racist language of the time, I really enjoyed this book. Fleming goes into detail over some interesting aspects of the story (Harlem and marine life), but you walk away feeling like you've learned something. Another great Bond story with some surprising violence and implied sex. Great for fans of the series and those who like a tale full of action and voodoo. Audio-Hoopla ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |

Fleming, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonetti, NorahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Follett, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, LyndonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welsh, LouiseIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are moments of great luxury in the life of a secret agent.
'Don't go stirring up trouble for us. This case isn't ripe yet. Until it is, our policy is "live and let live".'
Bond looked quizzically at Captain Dexter.
'In my job,' he said, 'when I come up against a man like this one, I have another motto. It's "live and let die".'
This work is by Ian Fleming.  Patrick Nobles is the editor of some editions.

Meet JAMES BOND,

Britain's key secret service agent against the dreaded Soviet murder organization SMERSH...Bond lives dangerously - he expects to be killed; he's no stranger to torture.

Meet MR BIG,

a huge American negro - master criminal, head of a Voodoo cult, high in the SMERSH guild of terror.

Meet SOLITAIRE

Mr Big's Inquisitor, an exotic Creole beauty with the power to read a man's mind.

Racing from a night-club in New York's Harlem to the shark-infested waters of the West Indies this power-packed James Bond adventure will set your nerves a-tingle!

Speed...tremendous zest...communicated excitement. Brrh!...how wincingly well Mr Fleming writes - SUNDAY TIMES
Double Oh Seven
takes on a black criminal
with Voodoo powers.
(yoyogod)

"Beautiful, fortune-telling Solitaire is the prisoner (and tool) of Mr. Big - master of fear, artist in crime, and Voodoo Baron of Death. James Bond has no time for superstition - he knows that Big is also a top SMERSH operative and a real threat. More than that, after tracking him through the jazz joints of Harlem to the Everglades and on the Caribbean, 007 has realized that Mr. Big is one of the most dangerous men that he has ever faced. And no one, not even the enigmatic Solitaire, can be sure how their battle of wills is going to end."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,823,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible