The Road to Yesterday (L.M. Montgomery…

The Road to Yesterday (L.M. Montgomery Books) (original 1974; edition 1993)

by L.M. Montgomery

Member:FHC
Title:The Road to Yesterday (L.M. Montgomery Books)
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:Laurel Leaf (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Canadian,

The Road to Yesterday by L. M. Montgomery (1974)

English (6)  Finnish (1)  All (7)
When I was about 10 I had to give a speech in 4-H and the topic I chose was L. M. Montgomer. I remember the title was "My Favourite Authoress" (okay so I was a bit pretentious at that age). She is still one of my favourite writers.

This book was given to me by my sister for Christmas 1977. It is a collection of fourteen short stories, all of them set on Montgomery's beloved Prince Edward Island. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 25, 2017 |
A collection of short stories set in and around Glen St. Mary. The Blythes are never the focal point of the story, but they appear or are mentioned in all of them. They run chronologically from about the time of Anne of Ingleside up to the Second World War.

I thought that I had read most of Montgomery's short stories long ago, but I seem to have missed this collection. Though I didn't absolutely love any of them, I found some of the stories enjoyable, some mediocre, and some that I outright disliked. In particular, there's one story where a middle-aged man kidnaps a woman and strands her in a house on an island because he doesn't want his life upset by his brother proposing to her. Of course, he ends up falling in love with her himself, but I was super creeped out by the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the author's intention. In general, I find that some aspects of Montgomery's writing have not aged well, and this is most obvious in short stories, where the plot is less complex and I'm less likely to be attached to the characters. If you're a Montgomery completist, read it -- if not, this is an okay book to skip. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 12, 2017 |
The stories would have been much more satisfying without the constant Blythe name-dropping. One or two stories to allude to the lives of the Blythe clan post-Rilla would have sufficed, not the constant idolization of Anne Blythe.

Regardless there were some good stories in here, especially the last, A Commonplace Woman. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
I'm close to finishing this collection of "Avonlea"-type of short stories, close enough to do a review. If you like Anne of Green Gables genre stories, you will enjoy these. I am enjoying them, but they're not as good as the original Anne books, imo. Overall, they are entertaining, and will bring a smile to your face as you read. ( )
  fuzzi | May 14, 2015 |
What a delightful trip back to Prince Edward Island! One must be familiar with the Blythes'/Ingleside's history in order to fully appreciate these stories; they did indeed provide good moments of poignancy and laughter. To see Rilla of Ingleside's story taking place in the background was quite a touch. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |

For Anne and Gilbert Blythe, life in a small village is never dull because of all the entertaining gossip, and what strange and funny tales they hear: about the mischievous twins whose dearest wish comes true when they meet up with a bored and haunted millionaire; or clever Penelope Craig, who considers herself an expert on children -- until she adopts a boy of her own; or Timothy Randebush, a man so eager to keep his brother out of the clutches of a dangerous woman that he spirits her away -- only to fall prey to her charms himself. Filled with unexpected surprises, laughter, and tears, here are fourteen of the Blythes' favorite tales.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553560689, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

Fourteen short stories by L. M. Montgomery.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible