Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia (2001)

by Jean Sasson

Series: Princess Sultana (Book 1)

When Jean Sasson's book Princess: Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia was published, it became an immediate international bestseller. It sold to 43 countries and spent 13 weeks on The New York Times bestseller list. Now, in this long-awaited, compelling new book, Sasson and the Princess 'Sultana' return to tell the world what it means to be a Saudi woman today. Through advances in education and with access to work, Saudi women are breaking through the barriers; they are becoming doctors, social workers, business owners and are even managing to push at the boundaries of public life. Major steps forward have, undoubtedly, been made. But this is not the whole story. Sadly, despite changes in the law, all too often legal loopholes leave women exposed to terrible suppression, abuse and crimes of psychological and physical violence. For many, the struggle for basic human rights continues. This fascinating insight will include personal stories of triumph and heartbreak, as told to Princess 'Sultana', her eldest daughter, and author Jean Sasson. Each of these stories will offer the reader a glimpse into different aspects of Saudi society, including the lives of the Princess, her daughter and other members of the Al-Saud Royal family.… (more)
    Nicht ohne meine Tochter (Leishai)
    Between Two Worlds: Escape from Tyranny: Growing Up in the Shadow of Saddam by Zainab Salbi (itbgc)
    In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed (Mrs.Stansbury)
    Mrs.Stansbury: Each book glimpses life behind the veils of women in Saudi Arabia and reveals unique views and different perspectives. If you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

English (40)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
I am not usually a fan of nonfiction, but unlike most school-assigned books, I found this book to be one of the most informational yet well-written books I have ever read. This story was devastating, with its main character enduring life within a country that grants her little freedom. The novel is not written to move its reader, as the story itself does this without the help of the author's persuasion. I found this novel to be heartwrenching and eye-opening, and I think it should be a part of every school's curriculum. ( )
  sophie..cohen | Nov 4, 2021 |
I read this book last year and it was amazing. I really loved the struggles that the main character went through in Saudi Arabia as a women. It was really eye opening that arranged marriages and sex trafficking was happening in other parts of the world, outside of the United States. This book is a feminist novel and it’s very intriguing and inspiring to read. I truly enjoyed this novel and you will never be bored while reading it. ( )
  evabaudo | Oct 31, 2021 |
Loved the book and will always keep rereading it. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
This was not a favorite. I have many concerns about a white woman appropriating a Saudi woman's story, but even the writing was just not great. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Princess by Jean Sasson is a nonfiction novel that follows the childhood and young adulthood of Princess Sultana while living in Saudi Arabia. Sasson writes about the abuse and sexism Princess Sultana endured behind the palace walls. We learn about her negative relationships with men, the unfair treatment she faced, and we even read about her female relatives and friends oppression within Saudi Arabia. This novel discusses and describes serious topics like rape, violence and abuse that shocks the readers. Even though these topics are difficult to read about, I feel that a lot of people (mostly men) should read this book so that they can get a better understanding of how some women deal with extreme sexism. This book should open a discussion for women's issues and how feminism is essential in this world. ( )
  apatalidis22 | Nov 4, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Jack
Introduction
In a land where kings still rule, I am a princess.
Ali slapped me to the ground, but I declined to hand over the shiny red apple just given to me by the Pakistani cook.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,321,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible