Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Fool Moon

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (2)

Gateways by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Like Dresden, the book is about a loner with parental issues who has natural powers. In the Kate Daniels series she is not used to having friends or trusting others because of her natural magic. Also like Dresden there is sexual tension but realistic, there is violence in fighting demons but it is not gory for the sake of gore. Kate Daniels books have more world building.… (more)
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (251)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (254)
The Dresden Files #2 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
I enjoyed the mythology here that went into creating the different kinds of werewolves. This book is very graphic and violent. Lots and lots of people become canon fodder for the werewolves, particularly the loup garou. A fun read and a decent follow up to an outstanding intro. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work--magical or mundane:

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise.

A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses--and the first two don't count....

Review: I liked this one better than the last one. This is one of those series that gets better with each book. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
I am still somewhat split about these books. On one hand I kind of like Harry Dresden, the stories are good and holds together fairly well and in this book Harry actually kicks some ass with some real magic but on the other hand he is still a bit of a wimp at times and he does unfortunately get his own ass kicked way too much.

The story is free standing one with a distinct beginning and end without any real connections to the previous books apart from the usual ones that you get in a book series which follows a person or persons through a timeline. This time Harry takes on another set of supernatural creatures and, as the book blurb states, you get three guesses and the first two does not count, as to what these creatures are. The book had a nice twist on Werewolves though by introducing more than one kind of them. Of course Harry gets to slug it out with quite a few of them.

Harry’s cop friend, Murphy, is back again and this is one of the huge negative points of the book. It is the same old story of Harry not wanting to drag her into danger and she gets all pissed off and proceeds to do stupid things. I mean, come on, she tried to arrest Harry in the last book because she was pissed off and stupid. You would have though she would be a wee bit wiser in this book but no such luck. These parts really annoyed me.

Otherwise the book is again a nice mixture of wizard adventures and hard boiled (well medium boiled at least) private investigator ditto. It is fairly quickly paced and there is plenty of action in the book although way too much of it is spent on kicking Harry’s ass.

As I wrote I am still a bit split as to where I stand on Harry Dresden. I generally liked the book but the stupid cop and Harry getting his ass kicked way too much is preventing me from truly appreciating it. Nevertheless, again I have no hesitation in putting the next book on my Goodreads to-read shelf. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Harry Dresden is back (yay!), this time to take on werewolves in Chicago. A lot of werewolves.

A rather ridiculous lot of them, actually, but I'm not hesitating to give this book four stars despite the chaos of antagonists (it's less convoluted than some noir I've read, so ...) and despite the forced hostility between Murphy and Dresden. Which didn't have to feel forced: after the events of the last book, her hesitation to trust him could have made sense. Instead, it's overwritten. With a sledgehammer. As are multiple character qualities of Harry that the author seems to think we've forgotten since the last book, or won't notice unless Harry spells them out for us. I am eager to keep reading to see if Butcher over time develops a subtler hand with characterization.

I'm also eager to keep reading because Harry Dresden is my kind of protagonist. Self-deprecating, hero-burdened, sometimes cooler and sometimes less cool than he thinks he is, fallible and destructible, and after two books still wonderfully mysterious. Pitting this fascinating guy against vampires and werewolves and sundry other fantastical villains gives my storyteller brain a delightful sugar rush. On to [b:Grave Peril|91476|Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1266470209s/91476.jpg|803205]! ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never used to keep close track of the phases of the moon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458125, Mass Market Paperback)

Could a werewolf be loose in Chicago? Common sense says no. The grisly evidence says yes. So does Harry Dresden. And with his weird connections, he should know.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:51 -0400)

When the corpse of a brutally mutilated murder victim turns up at the time of the full moon, accompanied by some most unusual paw prints, professional wizard and supernatural investigator Harry Dresden finds himself searching Chicago for the werewolf stalking the city.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,393,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible