Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim…

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (2)

When the corpse of a brutally mutilated murder victim turns up at the time of the full moon, accompanied by some most unusual paw prints, professional wizard and supernatural investigator Harry Dresden finds himself searching Chicago for the werewolf stalking the city.
Member:DisquietNight
Title:Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Work Information

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Gateways by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Like Dresden, the book is about a loner with parental issues who has natural powers. In the Kate Daniels series she is not used to having friends or trusting others because of her natural magic. Also like Dresden there is sexual tension but realistic, there is violence in fighting demons but it is not gory for the sake of gore. Kate Daniels books have more world building.… (more)
    The Haunted Air by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (288)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (291)
Summary: Harry Dresden is up to his old tricks, cept this times were-wolves look to be on the scene and maybe something a little more sinister is moving around the edges still unseen.

Things I liked:

Good escalation of the risk and escalation of old relationships.

Things I thought could be improved:

Quite a bit of repetition of background from the first book. A lot of the time this was almost word for word from the first book which was noticiable and felt a little lazy.

Highlight: Probably the face off with the gang members at their club house when everything was on the line. ( )
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
Efter två böcker är jag fortfarande inte kompis med Harry Dresden. Det är bitvis ganska underhållande. Men så kommer en douchig kommentar om någon kvinnas utseende (eller en mans, när det handlar om fatshaming) och så känner jag att nä, det är nog ingen idé det här. Charmen saknas. Och utan den känner jag att jag hellre läser något annat. ( )
  kattriarkatet | Jun 21, 2022 |
I enjoyed this less than the first book in The Dresden Files, a lot of the plot felt forced and cliche (not in a good way). I'll check out the next in the series but if that's the same I'll probably let this one go. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
I still can't justify why I enjoy The Dresden Files. The main character, Harry Dresden, is sexist in that "I believe in chivalry" kind of way. The writing isn't that good. So many unbelievable things happen. And yet? It holds my attention and I read the books really quickly. I guess Dresden reminds me a little of Anita Blake, another urban fantasy mess I really enjoy and absolutely cannot justify.

The first book, Storm Front, was the "evil wizard" book. Fool Moon is the "werewolf" book. Sure to come are zombies and vampires. While most of Butcher's writing is immediately pretty flat, one thing that does interest me is the mythological breakdowns. Butcher pulled werewolf references and lore from a lot of different cultures to build his characters... and yup, was even cocky enough to tell us all about it in an informational breakdown for the uninitiated. I do like the magic, the recklessness of it. The mythos is interesting.

Know, though, that the plot line was a complete train wreck. There were so many things going on that even Dresden took a step back in the book to recap with his subconscious. In some ways, it was pretentious (as if the reader can't keep track of what's happening!) and in other ways, humorous (so much banter). There were the promised werewolves and a bunch of other things and really, Dresden should be super super super arrested right now, but it's more... convenient to tie things up in an illogical bow, I guess.

Fool Moon is an absolute mess but an enjoyable one. I'm a sucker for punishment, because I'm going on to book three. It's not a book or a series I'd buy, though. Strictly for the borrowing. ( )
  Morteana | May 25, 2022 |
3.75 stars stronger than the first, with some real character development. I remember when I first read these books, stumbling across them at a, now defunct, bookstore when looking for something kind of in the same vein as Tanya Huff's [b:Blood Price|740042|Blood Price (Victoria Nelson, #1)|Tanya Huff|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1533659295l/740042._SY75_.jpg|2542025] and PN Elrod's [b:Bloodlist|290436|Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)|P.N. Elrod|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1361738015l/290436._SY75_.jpg|1771872], which were among some of the earliest Urban Fantasy stories I read. I fell in love with Dresden and Butcher's writing right on the spot. It's nice to revisit. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never used to keep close track of the phases of the moon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,120,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible