American Indian Myths and Legends (The…

American Indian Myths and Legends (The Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore… (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Richard Erdoes (Compiler), Alfonso Ortiz (Compiler)

Member:sherahjade
Title:American Indian Myths and Legends (The Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Authors:Richard Erdoes (Compiler)
Other authors:Alfonso Ortiz (Compiler)
Info:Pantheon (1985), Edition: 1st, 527 pages
Collections:Nonfiction, Your library

American Indian Myths and Legends by Richard Erdoes (1984)

Dorris Alexander "Dee" Brown, author of "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," said of this work, "We have nothing more universal than our folk myths, and in this book Richard Erdoes and Alfonso Ortiz have brought together what is probably the most comprehensive and diverse collection of American Indian legends ever compiled. It is a worthy and welcome addition to the literature of our native peoples."
  uufnn | Mar 7, 2019 |
A very well done over view of Native American Myths across the United States (With a few stories south and north of the border).

What I found most amazing is just how similar in themes the stories are to the fairy tales of Europe - basically - don't do this or else.

I especially liked the stories where animals and people were equal, and could talk to each other.

I suspect that this is a good introduction into Native stories, but for a serious scholar in the subject, probably not deep enough. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 31, 2017 |
Native folklore
  ccsdss | Feb 23, 2016 |
This is an excellant collection of the oral myths and legends of the Native American people. It is well organized with the various legends having common elements. The only way I found to truly enjoy the book was to get out of the Western Thinking mode as it applies to myths and legends. These stories do not necessarily have a moral behind it, and quite often no real begining or end. They often are just a partial episode that could centuries into a tribes traditions.

It is interesting to note the similarities of tales from peoples on opposite sides of the continent. It seems that life itself becomes legend, as chance encounters with new animals or tribes from distant lands give rise to the creation of a story.

All in all, a great book which should be in everyone's library. ( )
  David.A.Rainey | Dec 24, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Erdoes, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ortiz, Alfonsomain authorall editionsconfirmed
The 166 legends recorded here come from the heart and soul of the native people of North America. [Introduction]
Creation myths deal with both how the physical world as we know it came to be and how the many features of specific cultures originated. [Part One]

Gathering 160 tales from 80 tribal groups to offer a rich and lively panarama of the Native American mythic heritage. 100 drawings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:30 -0400)

Indian (Native American) myths and legends of creation, sun, moon, stars, heroes, monsters, warriors, love, lust, Coyote the trickster, animals, ghosts, and the end of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible