Prince Zaleski, Limited Edition by M. P.…

Prince Zaleski, Limited Edition (original 1895; edition 2002)

by M. P. Shiel (Author)

Member:drokk
Title:Prince Zaleski, Limited Edition
Authors:M. P. Shiel (Author)
Info:Tartarus Press (2002), 214 pages

Prince Zaleski by M. P. Shiel (1895)

These three stories are cut from the same pattern. In each, the author, calling himself by his own name, Shiel, goes to see the secluded Prince Zaleski and tells him the story of a current mystery, often reading directly from newspapers or diaries. Zaleski then unravels the threads of the puzzle in a long narrative filled with strange philosophical ramblings. Only in the third story does Zaleski leave his home to do some in-person investigating, but the focus of the story stays on Shiel waiting for the Prince's return. We still only hear the solution from Zaleski when he gets back. I'm not sure any reader could anticipate Zaleski's revelations and solve the puzzle before it is explained, so these stories end up being a bit tedious. They will, however, introduce you to more than a few obscure words! ( )
  datrappert | Dec 31, 2013 |
I was given the extravagantly beautiful Tartarus Press edition for my birthday which in itself deserves a five star rating. Sadly I can't say the same for Shiel's detective. After having heard about him in the context of the occult detective and decadent genres I was sure I'd love Prince Zaleski. Jad Adams mentions him in his excellent "Madder Music and Stronger Wine" and Alan Moore has reference him one or twice.

Instead I found myself alternatively bored and horrified by the racial faux pas in the stories. As a person who loves Decadence and can usually take dated language with a grain of salt this took me by surprise. I don't know. It just didn't appeal to me. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did. ( )
1 vote gregoryarnott | Apr 2, 2013 |
A classic collection of three mystery short stories in high-decadent style by a master stylist ... although these are not his best work ( )
  longreader | Jul 4, 2008 |

Prince Zaleski, an exiled Russian nobleman, inhabits a half-ruined abbey in Wales, where he spends most of his time smoking cannabis and opium, reading from his library of medieval books, or admiring his collection of rare curios dating from ancient antiquity. His retirement from the world is occasionally interrupted by his friend Shiel, who comes to seek Zaleski's help in solving mysteries that have baffled the greatest minds in Britain ... (from Valancourt books blurb).

About the exploits of a mysterious Russian detective, Prince Zaleski.

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible