The Wreck of the Zephyr by Chris Van…

The Wreck of the Zephyr (original 1983; edition 1983)

by Chris Van Allsburg

A boy's ambition to be the greatest sailor in the world brings him to ruin when he misuses his new ability to sail his boat in the air.
Member:naomi_shadis
Title:The Wreck of the Zephyr
Authors:Chris Van Allsburg
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (1983), Hardcover, 32 pages

Work Information

The Wreck of the Zephyr by Chris Van Allsburg (1983)

English (20)  French (1)  All languages (21)
In my opinion, The Wreck of Zephyr, is a good book. First, the point of view is told by the person that "flew too close to the sun" in the book and is telling a boy who questioned the crashed boat on land so far from the water. You end up getting to see both sides of the "greatest sailor," seeing the reality of the old man. Also, the illustrations enhance the surreal and amazing idea that the old man once sailed his boat in the sky and crashed it so far inland. The big idea of the story is to be careful of your ambition and pride the outcome might not be what you want. ( )
  ahelle5 | Mar 23, 2020 |
A ship found wrecked atop a cliff high above the sea is said to have been carried there by waves during a storm, but is there more to the story? ( )
  btbarret | Apr 11, 2017 |
This imaginative story with vivid illustrations could be used in countless ways, including core academics and STEAM learning. From coordinates and mapping to weather to multi-dimensional storytelling, this mystical tale is rich with possibilities for the classroom. The author’s website offers a teacher’s guide (http://www.polarexpress.com/wreck-zephyr-teachers-guide) packed with ideas and resources. Some other sites worth checking out include Lesson Planet (http://www.lessonplanet.com/search?keywords=the%20wreck%20of%20the%20zephyr), and Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=lesson%20Wreck%20of%20the%20Zephyr%20Al...) which will lead you to endless ideas. ( )
  frozenteacher | Mar 19, 2016 |
"The Wreck of Zephyr" is an interesting tale that left me a bit uneasy. It tells the story of a boy, who wanted to be the greatest sailor in the world, that decided to sail during an intense storm that washed him up to a place where boats "float" in the air. After much hard work with locals who sail their boats in the air regularly, the boy doesn't think he can do it - until he finally does - and flies higher than any sailor has flown before. This reaffirms that he was truly the greatest sailor of all. However, the wind shifted and the boat crashed into the ground and still remains there to the present day. I often found myself rereading certain pages because the language was sometimes complex; one must be familiar with sailing terms before reading this book. I appreciate the concept of the story but it overall came off odd to me, especially at the end when the Zephyr (his boat) crashed. One would think he would sail off into the night sky with complete control of his sailboat. The illustrations were beautiful - almost haunting - and I think it adds to the darker, mysterious undertones the book possesses. I think "Zephyr" would translate better as a movie than a book because the events are so complex to be easily understood by children in print. In addition, I appreciated that the story was told through an old man to the narrator that, at the end of the book, implies that he is actually the sailor. "The old man looked up. 'wind coming,' he said. 'I've got some sailing to do.' He picked up a cane and I watched as he limped slowly toward the harbor.'" This is another recurring open ending that is common throughout Van Allsburg's work. I could see this being used in a lesson about making inferences. All in all, I found it to be an interesting story that would appeal to those that enjoy whimsical mysteries. ( )
  scorco2 | Nov 9, 2015 |
The genre of this book is modern fantasy. The story opens with the author finding an old, abandoned ship on an island, with an old man sitting nearby. The man begins to tell the strange story of a haughty boy who fancied himself the best sailor of all, and traveled to a distant land on his ship, the Zephyr, to a place where fisherman could make their ships fly. At the end of the day, the boy manages to fly his ship back to his hometown, but can't resist the urge to try to ring the church bells as a boast. As a result, the Zephyr begins to fall, the townspeople never believe him again, and the boy breaks his leg. After the story is told, the author notices that the old man walks away with a limp, hinting that he is, in fact, the boy from the story. This book would be appropriate for 3rd or 4th graders. ( )
  athena.j | Jul 23, 2015 |
To C. E. Stevens
Once, while traveling along the seashore, I stopped at a small fishing village.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,176,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible