Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Mage Winds 1: Winds of Fate by Mercedes…

The Mage Winds 1: Winds of Fate (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Mercedes Lackey (Author)

High Magic had been lost to Valdemar centuries ago when the last Herald-Mage gave his life to save the kingdom from destruction by dark sorceries. Yet now the realm is at risk again. And Elspeth, Herald and heir to the throne, must take up the challenge, abandoning her home to find a mentor who can awaken her untrained mage ablities.… (more)
Member:msmith2704
Title:The Mage Winds 1: Winds of Fate
Authors:Mercedes Lackey (Author)
Info:Penguin (1992), Edition: Illustrated, 464 pages

Work Information

Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey (1991)

I like the books Mercedes Lackey writes, she is good at creating a believable world and people to populate it. While her writing is not the strongest I do find it engaging ang and enjoyable. I like a series I can live inside of and her books are ones that have characters I feel invested in and a world I believe could exist. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A good start to this new series. Take the main players off of the familiar stage and go someplace new. Entertaining read. ( )
  frfeni | Jan 31, 2021 |
This is the first book in the third series of books about the Heralds of Valdemar.

In this book, the Heir, Elspeth, and her colleague, Skiff, leave Valdemar to go in search of the mysterious magic powers that Valdemar needed to counter the threat of their implacable neighbour Ancar of Hardon. Most people in Valdemar didn't believe in magic even if they saw it happening but this disbelief was becoming a liabiklity so Elspeth set off to hire mages to counter the magic being flung at them. As the quest proceded it became obvious that she was being herded to a specific destination and, being Elspeth, decided to make her own decisions.

This was a particularly preachy book (ineed the series as a whole is probably the most preachy of the Heralds books but if you can overlook that (much easier now than when I first read them), it is a reasonably decent read. ( )
  JohnFair | Aug 17, 2015 |
I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed this re-read.

http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.ca/2015/02/winds-of-fate-mercedes-lackey.html ( )
  ElenaGwynne | Feb 12, 2015 |
I customarily skip the Mage Winds books when reading through Valdemar. They're pretty terrible, for the same reasons the Gryphon books are terrible. That reason is Larry Dixon. He's uncredited on these, but his atrocious writing is unmistakable. (I have been harsh on some of Lackey's work too, but her failures are in completely different directions.)

The Elspeth and Skif chapters are marginally ok - if they were the whole of the book, I'd probably give it three stars. The mock-romance is annoying, and the whole Destiny thing really wasn't developed enough to be interesting, but the core is there. The Darkwind chapters are just bad. Tedious, poorly written, overly reliant on As You Know, Bob and magically induced flashbacks to dump way more info than I care about, and with characters that all tend towards the whiny.

My vague memory suggests that this isn't actually the worst of the three (and the third is substantially better - I do reread that one sometimes) but the only reason I reread this one is because I am doing A Thing and refuse to cheat. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Donald A. Wollheim
A gentleman and a scholar
"But-" Elspeth protested weakly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,322,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible