The Sherlock Holmes Crossword Puzzle Book

by Ruth Lake Tepper

451463,220 (5)None

Why are crossword puzzles and detective stories so popular the world over? They entertain, of course; they test our wits. But even more, they provide the satifaction of solving problems neatly and completely - and how often does that happen in the world?
After many years of being a solver of puzzles and a reader of mysteries, I became a maker of crossword puzzles, and it ocurred to me that I could combine the two. So quicker than you can say "Sherlock Holmes," I thought of my favorite detective.
Rereading Conan Doyle to select the stories, I was surprised to find that although I am an old Holmes buff, I did not remember the solution to many of the mysteries. The stories were intriguing all over again, and so were the many facets of Holmes and his woarld (some of which I write about in the short freatures that appear her between the puzzles.)
Here, then, is the book: each puzzle consists of a Sherlock Holmes adventure and a crossword puzzle. The story is told in abridged form and it includes the problem, the action, and the clues, but not the solution. The solution is hidden among the words of the crossword puzzle. When you have solved the puzzle, fill in the words in the spaces indicated and a telegraphic message reveals the solution.
There is an epilogue to each story, on the same page as its crossword puzzle answer, that tells how Sherlock Holmes arrived at his solution and what happened after he unlocked the mystery.
Happy solving!
Ruth Lake Tepper
There are 22 puzzles and mysteries given here. And the answers are given in the back. And something stands out among the solved puzzle. Like initials, her meaning to the "telegraphic message reveals the solution." ( )
  LadyIrene | Apr 3, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,909,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible