Kogi's Mysterious Journey by Elizabeth…

Kogi's Mysterious Journey

by Elizabeth Partridge

The book follows Kogi and his search for painting freedom. I love Japanese folktales and this one is just as impressive as any other one's I've read. The central theme surrounding the book is freedom. The author basically says that once we found our freedom, it is one day gone from us. I love that theme and never thought about it until now. This book makes me want to go to Lake Biwa after looking at the illustrator's work of art and try to find that golden fish named Kogi. ( )
  Remy_Ferrell | Oct 1, 2014 |
The artist Kogi struggles to draw life-like images and becomes a fish to experience the creature’s freedom. After Kogi is caught and killed, he awakes again as a human his artwork improves and he chooses to wade back into Lake Biwa and live as a golden fish.

Kogi’s Mysterious Journey is based on a Japanese legend and is interpreted by Elizabeth Partridge within a frame narrative that is published by Dutton Children’s Books. The artwork in the story is speaks well to the Japanese tradition of art. The illustrator, Aki Sogabe, distinguishes well the difference between kogi’s lifeless work and his lively drawings. The weakest point in the story occurred when the fish version of Kogi was killed. Afterwards, Kogi wakes up in his own bed, implying the experience was only a dream. This detracts from the magic of the story and may cause readers to have trouble believing Kogi actually turns into a fish at the end of the story. Overall, Partridge and Sogabe have successfully revitalized a culturally relevant legend.
  SJKessel | Dec 28, 2008 |

Kogi longs to capture the spirit of nature in his art. He draws majestic mountains, trees, waterfalls, and Lake Biwa's glimmering fish, but his paintings are always lifeless and dull-until one supernatural morning when he wades into the cool, deep, shimmering water and becomes a golden fish. There he learns firsthand the freedom within the silence that pulsates in all of life. When hunger drives him to risk the fisherman's baited hook, another miraculous transformation forces Kogi back to his life as a painter, but a painter now forever changed. Elizabeth Partridge's elegant prose and Aki Sogabe's cut-paper illustrations bring clean lines and lush color to this mysterious tale of discovery.

Adapted by Elizabeth Partridge.
Illustrated by Aki Sogabe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:34 -0400)

Kogi paints the shore of Lake Biwa, but is unable to capture the vigor and beauty that inspire him. One day, Kogi wades into the water to release a fish, and unable to resist follows in its wake, eventually becoming a fish himself, and learning what it is to be a fish in the lake.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible