Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Missing Mittens (MathStart 1) by Stuart J.…

Missing Mittens (MathStart 1) (edition 2000)

by Stuart J. Murphy (Author)

Series: MathStart (level 1)

531935,487 (3.5)1
As a farmer tries to find the correct number of mittens for his various farmyard animals, the reader is introduced to odd and even numbers.
Member:ReaganWest
Title:Missing Mittens (MathStart 1)
Authors:Stuart J. Murphy (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages

Work Information

Missing Mittens by Stuart J. Murphy

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
it is a great book to get students to ask the question about numbers, what is odd and what is an even number. further more the book is about a farmer trying to get animals to put on gloves, also a great question, and why or why not would the animals need it.
  kurdistansami | Aug 23, 2017 |
Time Machine
Book intro's idea of even and odd numbers, January 4, 2005

We loved Murphy's "Henry the Fourth", but we didn't particularly like this book. While the artwork is delightful, the rhymes are clumsy, and worse, the premise just is not very interesting. At least, finding out what happened to the cow's utter-mittens did not engage my kids (almost 3 and 5).

On the plus side, the book did give my almost 5 y.o. and myself a place to start talking about even and odd. And the way that the artist showed the pairs of mittens and the missing mitten in outline made it easy to point out what the story was taking about.

But I'd give this book a pass unless you are desparate to find an edutainment introduction to even/odd numbers.
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 27, 2016 |
The best part about this book is the illustrations. The fact that you can see an odd number of mittens and the images he puts represent an even amount of mittens and an odd amount. I also really like the language that the author uses in this book. The author uses a lot of rhyming words which add the the fluency of the book and help make it more interesting. The big idea behind this book is to teach math concepts of even and odd. ( )
  nsnide1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
A farmer is trying to put mittens on all of his animals. This helps students with odd and even numbers as they help the farmer count how many mittens each animal will need. ( )
  Mmarcel2011 | Apr 27, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

MathStart (level 1)
To Blitzen--who could use two pairs of mittens. He needs and even four. --S.J.M.
For the Chancellor Livingston Library --G..B.K.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,320,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible