Sacred Places

by Philemon Sturges

Describes various types of space which are sacred to different religions, including churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, and other shrines.

Sacred places for various religions for children. People of every religion have built special places where they gather to worship, meditate, celebrate and hope. These are sacred places, powerful and magical.
  PAFM | Jul 15, 2020 |
Sacred places from five major religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism - are depicted, written briefly about, and tied in to a broader narrative that explains the worth, connections, and differences between sacred places across religions. Inspiring text and breath-taking illustrations make this book marvelous to read and experience. I wish there had been more representation of sacred places on the South American, African, and Australian continents, however, or at least been some explanation as to why they were largely unrepresented. There were just two sacred places in Africa included, and NO sacred places from South America or Australia were included. Of course, the author and illustrator had to limit the scope of the places they covered. For this I do not blame them! But I would have loved to see them acknowledge that there are hundreds of thousands of sacred places that fall on other continents and are part of other religions that they couldn't include realistically. Just an acknowledgement would suffice! ( )
  lydsmith | Apr 7, 2020 |
Read/Browse/Spend time with this book for the illustrations alone – awesome!!! Pardon my overly enthusiastic praise for Giles Laroche’s wonderfully-crafted artwork: by no means does that take away from the content. This is an excellent, sober, and seemingly accurate introduction to a number of the world’s religions (see pages 2-3). Once the concisely articulated groundwork has been laid, the fun begins. For this reader, Laroche’s artwork is tour-de-force material in its attention to detail, communicating humor and reverence and evoking other emotions. The accompanying text on the ensuing pages does it job and does not intrude. Also, the book’s end is a treasure in its own right: first, a subtle acknowledgement of a larger sense of spirituality in a two-page depiction of the night sky; a very cool map of the sacred sites and their locations, and a legend detailing the sources for the icons used throughout the book.

Bravo! ( )
  raboissi | Feb 16, 2018 |
This book helped me to learn a lot about the different religions of the world. It teaches different locations and cultures and why they are important. I do think students would benefit from reading this book and would definitely want it in my classroom!
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
I learned a lot and I think that my students would too!
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,662,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible