Why the Sun & Moon Live in the Sky by Niki…

Why the Sun & Moon Live in the Sky

by Niki Daly

The sun and moon must leave their earthly home after Sun invites the Sea to visit.

The unique perspective of why the sun and moon live in the sky comes from a Nigerian Foklore. The sun was very fond of the sea and invited all of the sea's children into the Sun and Moons home. However, there was not enough room for all of them to fit, so the moon was angry with the sun and decided to live where either of them would never see each other again. In all honesty, I can not pick out a particular them, but the author says, "This is my story, which I have related, if it be sweet, or if it be not sweet-take some elsewhere and let some come back to me." This explicit theme implies that the people who care most about you will stick with you no matter what mistakes you make. Daly told his opinion and will accept whoever agrees with it and will accept whoever disagrees with it. ( )
  cbattistella19 | Mar 16, 2018 |
This African narrative is said to be based on the Nigerian creation myth. Daly gives an amusing story of how the moon and sun came to live in the sky. The story is fun and full of drama. Sun and Moon eventually split up at the end of the story after Sun invites Sea into their home, which becomes flooded, pushing them all the way into the sky. There is also some jealousy reflected in the story when Sun invites Sea into his home and speaks of her beauty to Moon. Although this myth has its engaging moments, some of the vocabulary that Daly chose was difficult for young readers, such as spellbinding and disenchanted. ( )
  srmorgan | Feb 16, 2016 |
This folktale, based on a myth from Nigeria, explains why the Sun and the Moon live in the sky. When the Sea comes oveer to visit, it swallows the Sun and Moon's home, leaving them no choice but to retreat to the sky. And because the Sun invited the Sea over, the Moon decides to part from him and his foolish ways to live with the stars "on the dark side of time." ( )
  slbenne1 | Nov 22, 2014 |
I liked this story. I have heard it before. The version I heard many years ago, with more detail.. This book does a good job getting the details across. I feel it was a little short, lacking imagination. I personally like the illustration though. I like how the characters Sun and Moon were painted with human bodies, but Sun's head was a sun and Moon's head was a moon. The combination makes the characters look very unique. ( )
  anita.curry | Oct 22, 2013 |
I loved the reasoning that the author gives for the sun and moon living in the sky. I even like that they take it a step further and say why they are seen at different times! This is a wonderful book in general. ( )
  malindahodgson | Oct 17, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,502,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible