Hiring The Best Knowledge Workers, Techies &…

by Johanna Rothman, Gerald M. Weinberg (Foreword)

The days when herds of wild nerds roamed free in the Silicon Forest appear to be over. They still roam, but few employers are willing to feed them after the dot-com bust of recent years. Consultant Rothman definitely supports this buyers' market in her descriptions of how to identify labor needs, structure job descriptions and expectations, and the… (more)
Member:BucharestAdobeLib
Title:Hiring The Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets & Science Of Hiring Technical People
Authors:Johanna Rothman
Other authors:Gerald M. Weinberg (Foreword)
Info:Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated (2004), Paperback, 352 pages

Hiring The Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets & Science Of Hiring Technical People by Johanna Rothman

I found this book on the author's web site, and I must say that I am glad that I did. My department's hiring practices were in need of overhauling, and this book served as great guide. Readers will find a description of the hiring process that really mirrors software development itself.

The book begins with an overview of the hiring process, and then it looks at the various stages in detail. A hiring process should begin with an analysis of the job for the position you are trying to fill. Then you design a job description, ads, and interview questions. Next you implement the interivew questions with phone screens and on site interviews. Finally you extend offers and bring candidates in for their first day. All along the way, you evaluate what you are doing and let new information feedback into the previous steps. It really follows the pattern of iterative software development. As a bonus, the author provides templates for forms that you can use along the way during the process.

I recommend this book to anyone who is faced with implementing a hiring policy that they don't understand or who feels unprepared for the process. I found it to be quite helpful. ( )
  philip_heath | Mar 31, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,371,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible