The Swiss family Robinson or adventures in a…

The Swiss family Robinson or adventures in a desert island (original 1812; edition 2012)

by Johann David Wyss

Relates the fortunes of a shipwrecked family as they adapt to life on an island with abundant animal and plant life.
Member:JonathanDrew
Title:The Swiss family Robinson or adventures in a desert island
Authors:Johann David Wyss
Info:[S.l.] : Duke Classics, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss (1812)

OOF this book lasted forever. I read it mostly out of curiosity (based on others' nostalgia) and I don't think I would have had the patience for it even as a kid. I can see why some are fond of it, but it really didn't do much for me. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
No indication of date, authorship, translation, or augmentation. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
2019-05, fiction, adventure, shipwreck, island, family, discovery, exploration, exploring, farming, animals, jungle, swiss, english, classic, classics, ya, young adult, sailing
  herzogbr | May 6, 2019 |
Digital audiobook read by Frederick Davidson.

Originally published in 1812, this is a classic adventure tale of a mother, father and four sons who are shipwrecked on an unnamed (and apparently uncharted) tropical island in the South Seas.

I had never read the book, though I had seen the Disney movie back in the ‘60s. My adult self recognizes the glaringly implausible (and, frankly, impossible) scenarios – penguins AND bears AND ostriches! – but the adventure still captures the imagination. I also got a bit tired of the Father’s propensity to lecture; my stars, but the man is a walking encyclopedia and he feels compelled to impart his knowledge constantly. Since he is also the narrator, his superior attitude has plenty of opportunity to “shine.” Still, there is much practical information as well as natural history explained, and there are some very exciting scenes to capture the imagination of a young would-be explorer.

There are multiple editions of this classic and some have modernized the language to make it “more accessible to today’s students.” One edition I looked at had the narrator always referring to “the Mother,” never naming this strong woman but relegating her to only that role in life. The edition I wound up reading at least had the narrator referring to her as “my wife.” Again, no name but at least showing a personal relationship.

Davidson does an acceptable job of narrating the audiobook. His diction is clear, and he sets a decent pace, but his tone of voice makes the father/narrator sound even more superior than Wyss has written him (if that’s even possible). Also, this edition is one that has the narrator referring to the only woman in the party as “the Mother” without any name or even a hint at a personal connection, which just irritated me no end. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 16, 2019 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Has as a student's study guide

For many days we had been tempest-tossed.
The tempest had lasted six long and terrible days.
The storm had lasted for six days - and even then, far from subsiding, it seemed to gather even greater fury. (Audrey Butler version)
Actually edited and completed by Johann Rudolf Wyss. His father, Johann David Wyss, wrote the story.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143104993, 0141325305

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,612,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible