The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials) by…

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials) (original 1997; edition 2017)

by Philip Pullman (Author)

Series: His Dark Materials (2)

As the boundaries between worlds begin to dissolve, Lyra and her daemon help Will Parry in his search for his father and for a powerful, magical knife.
Member:iamcrumpet
Title:The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials)
Authors:Philip Pullman (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2017), Edition: 1, 369 pages

Work Information

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (1997)

Recently added bychampaignj, Estragon1958, private library, SheilaValentino, BarbF410, So_Little_Time
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors. Additionally, there are themes of religion, good/bad and questions about "essence" that are similar in both series.… (more)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (320)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (332)
The second volume of His Dark Materials, and continues the fun of the first volume.
Designated by some as teen fiction, the key protagonists are 12 years old (or thereabouts). The book still works well for adult readers and I am enjoying the ride. One sub-plot is the fight against an evil establishment church - not something you would expect in a book for younger readers, but something that raises no problems for me. ( )
  mbmackay | May 14, 2022 |
This sequel improved upon The Golden Compass by leaps and bounds. I cared far more deeply about the main characters, as each of them gained more depth and humanity. I was a bit skeptical about the way that the multiverse would be handled, but the setup of the multiple worlds and the difficulties of traveling between them was handled beautifully. There were regular reveals and plot twists along the way that made me anticipate the next twist or turn that I'd experience with the characters. Bravo. ( )
  dcrampton | Apr 20, 2022 |
Una mejora con respecto al primer libro, explicaciones precisas y certeras, una escritura fluida, quizas se relentiza la historia en ciertas partes pero que buen libro no tiene esos momentos, el final es muy bueno, te dan pista sobre el mismo y todo lo que las pistas decian, ocurre. Extrañas la presencia de cierto personaje, supongo que aparecera de nuevo despues. Es un muy buen libro, no es tan para niños como dijeron algunos lectores. Mantiene mi interes y quiero saber que ocurrira en el final.
Espero que la serie sea digna. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
godDAMN this book ends on a succession of gut punches ( )
  austinburns | Dec 16, 2021 |
I loved the book, and for a full cast (of which I'm not at all fond), this is well made. I absolutely hated the OVER LOUD music they put between chapters, which always caught me by surprise and made my eardrums bleed. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
J. R. R. Tolkien, the granddaddy of modern high fantasy, asserted that the best fantasy writing is marked by ''arresting strangeness.'' Philip Pullman measures up; his work is devilishly inventive. His worlds teem with angels, witches, humans, animal familiars, talking bears and Specters, creatures resembling deadly airborne jellyfish... Put Philip Pullman on the shelf with Ursula K. Le Guin, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander, at least until we get to see Volume 3.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ströle, WolframÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tutino, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Will tugged at his mother's hand and said, "Come on, come on..." But his mother hung back.
“I’m only an ignorant aëronaut. I’m so damn ignorant I believed it when I was told that shamans had the gift of flight, for example. Yet here’s a shaman who hasn’t.”

“Oh, but I have.”

“How d’you make that out?”

The balloon was drifting lower, and the ground was rising. […]

“I needed to fly,” said Grumman, “so I summoned you, and here I am, flying.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,288,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible